Updated HA 2023.9.2 -> 2023.9.3 and now Z-Wave Add-on no longer works

Has this been fixed yet?
After all the updates, I am still stuck with the same error.

Please state which versions you are using, as there has been a number of updates the last 24 hours.

Have you tried simply removing and re-inserting the z-wave dongle (if you are on 2.0.1)?

I am on add-on Z-Wave JS UI 2.0.1

Home Assistant 2023.9.3
Supervisor 2023.09.2
Operating System 10.5
Frontend 20230911.0 - latest

I tried a few complete system reboot, without any success. Z-Wave stopped working yesterday after 2023.9.3 and the multiple add-on updates.

try to disabling Soft Reset under Z-Wave JS → Settings (cogwheel) → Z-Wave

7 Likes

Are you sure the USB path is correct? Searching I see /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00 being used, but not /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200_if00

Got it working. For some reason after the updates, it would not get my z-wave usb stick passed through the VMware ESXi usb hub. Manually adding the USB device through my ESXi virtual machine config fixed it.

@msa This is why I always wait at least a week or two after any update release before installing. :slight_smile: The same type of issues occur for ZigBee and other components (I saw a big one for modbus recently, for example). My take is conservative: make sure every device has a fail-safe physical backup, do a complete SW backup before upgrading, and then only upgrade after each release has been out for 2-3 weeks. Annoying, but so far I’ve avoided many show-stoppers.
Lycka till!

-David

Oh yes. And we are also hampered by the time-zones, we are up early in this part of the world :slight_smile:
Tack! /Mattias

saved my day. it’s working fine now. thanks for the tips.

the VM detection must be busted because i’m using a VM with home assistant supervisor and it doesn’t seems to be detected by the plugin.

anyway, still a great plugins, and thanks for the tips :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Dude you just saved me at least a few days of trail and error! Thanks!

1 Like

I was having the same problem after most recent z-wave update. I unplugged the z-wave ubs stick and plugged back in, which fixed my problem. Running HA on a Virtualbox on Windows 11.

Fresh install

riable.
2023-09-30T17:22:09.742Z DRIVER   Recovering unresponsive controller failed. Restarting the driver...
Error in driver ZWaveError: Recovering unresponsive controller failed. Restarting the driver... (ZW0100)
    at Driver.destroyWithMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:2769:17)
    at fail (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:3484:14)
    at /usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:3533:5 {
  code: 100,
  context: undefined,
Shutting down
  transactionSource: undefined
}
Closing server...

I just managed to crash z-wave by trying to add a device config via settings. The moment I hit save the driver threw an error that it’s not able to find the device, which was fine just a second ago. Is there an issue regarding ownership of the device path or is this related to soft-reset?

Thank you, this also worked for me.

1 Like

This is the way. Thank you very much :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Out of want of understanding - what is the flow on effect of this / why does it resolve this issue?

More so, should we re-enable this setting later / losing anything having it turned off

Like some of the others here - also running HA as an ESXI VM

Explained here:

2 Likes

In my case, I’m unable to re-enable the setting despite trying all the recommended options within my context. Both my dongle and ESXi are already at the recommended versions, and I’ve attempted to use the serial ID method, but I still encounter the same error.

It’s clear that this is merely a temporary workaround to make it function. I’m uncertain whether future versions will bring improvements to the soft reset for VM users.

Hello all

I had the same problem

I ma running HAOS as a vm on proxmox and i passthrough the zwave usb stick to HA

I did a back up of HA an zwave
i uninstalled and reinstalled zwave JS

i then restored from the zwave backup … it did not work

i re pairred my 10 z-wave devices now all works fine

Than you all for your help

Wow, so for my first month with HA.

MyQ = Broken
Z-Wave = Broken