Updated HA 2023.9.2 -> 2023.9.3 and now Z-Wave Add-on no longer works

Running Z-Wave JS version 0.1.92 and after apply the 2023.9.3 update (from 2023.9.2 where everything was working) I no longer have a working Z-Wave network. The following is logged repeatedly in the Z-Wave JS log:

New client
Z-Wave JS no longer supports enabling error reporting. If you are using an application that integrates with Z-Wave JS and you receive this error, you may need to update the application.
2023-09-27T07:32:17.902Z CNTRLR   The controller does not support soft reset or the soft reset feature has been 
                                  disabled with a config option or the ZWAVEJS_DISABLE_SOFT_RESET environment va
                                  riable.
Z-Wave error ZWaveError: The controller does not support soft reset or the soft reset feature has been disabled with a config option or the ZWAVEJS_DISABLE_SOFT_RESET environment variable. (ZW0111)
    at Driver.softReset (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:2473:10)
    at Function.handle (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/driver/message_handler.js:80:30)
    at Object.driver (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:41:91)
    at Client.receiveMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:125:99)
    at WebSocket.<anonymous> (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:57:45)
    at WebSocket.emit (node:events:514:28)
    at Receiver.receiverOnMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/ws/lib/websocket.js:1192:20)
    at Receiver.emit (node:events:514:28)
    at Receiver.dataMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/ws/lib/receiver.js:560:14)
    at /usr/src/node_modules/ws/lib/receiver.js:511:23 {
  code: 111,
  context: undefined,
  transactionSource: undefined
}
Client disconnected
Code 1000: 
New client
2023-09-27T08:03:37.418Z CNTRLR   The controller does not support soft reset or the soft reset feature has been 
                                  riable.
Z-Wave JS no longer supports enabling error reporting. If you are using an application that integrates with Z-Wave JS and you receive this error, you may need to update the application.
Z-Wave error ZWaveError: The controller does not support soft reset or the soft reset feature has been disabled with a config option or the ZWAVEJS_DISABLE_SOFT_RESET environment variable. (ZW0111)
    at Driver.softReset (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:2473:10)
    at Function.handle (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/driver/message_handler.js:80:30)
    at Object.driver (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:41:91)
    at Client.receiveMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:125:99)
    at WebSocket.<anonymous> (/usr/src/node_modules/@zwave-js/server/dist/lib/server.js:57:45)
    at Receiver.receiverOnMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/ws/lib/websocket.js:1192:20)
}
New client
Client disconnected
Code 1000: 
Client disconnected
Code 1000: 
New client
2023-09-27T08:13:38.402Z CNTRLR   The controller does not support soft reset or the soft reset feature has been 
                                  riable.
}
New client
Client disconnected
Code 1000: 

Where can I look further for the source of this problem?

Same for me, not sure what the issue is though.

Too bad
 Hope someone with deeper HA knowledge can chime in.

See the open issue here

Same Issue, but other Error message. Maybe it helps to find out what the Problem is.

I Use the AEON LabsZ‐Stick Gen5 USB Controller

Edit: Sorry my HomeAssistant is in German
 :slight_smile:

Upgraded from 2023.9.2 → 2023.9.3: no issues with Z-Wave.
Upgraded Z-Wave JS from 0.1.91 → 0.1.92 and all my Z-Wave devices became unavailable.
Performed partial restore back to Z-Wave JS to 0.1.91 and all Z-Wave devices were still unavailable.
Tried removing and re-installing Z-Wave JS addon and Z-Wave devices were still unavailable.
I had to do a full restore from the previous day (2023.9.2 and Z-Wave JS 0.1.91) to get things working again.
I have subsequently upgraded again to 2023.9.3 (without issue) but have left Z-Wave JS at 0.1.91.

I have a HUSBZB-1 adapter with firmware 4.32.

A fix is in flight: Bump zwave-js-server to 1.32.1 by raman325 · Pull Request #3232 · home-assistant/addons · GitHub

You can see a brief explanation of the issue in the changelog

2 Likes

Sigh - I’ve just realized this is a sign from the Home Automation Gods - “Thy shall never use Z-Wave”.
System has been mostly working but we haven’t had any trust in it.
Ordered a big package of replacement units (two Energy meters and 5 plugs) from Shelly that will join the already 30+ Shelly devices.

So long and thanks for the fish, Z-Wave!

fix has been pushed

2 Likes

The fix doesn’t seem to resolve everything.

2023-09-27T16:30:01.702Z CNTRLR   [Node 026] ping failed: The node did not acknowledge the command (ZW0204)
2023-09-27T16:30:04.424Z DRIVER     no handlers registered!
2023-09-27T16:31:09.423Z CNTRLR   The controller is unresponsive
2023-09-27T16:31:09.427Z DRIVER   Attempting to recover unresponsive controller...
2023-09-27T16:31:09.518Z CNTRLR   The controller does not support soft reset or the soft reset feature has been 
                                  riable.
2023-09-27T16:31:09.521Z DRIVER   Recovering unresponsive controller failed. Restarting the driver...
Error in driver ZWaveError: Recovering unresponsive controller failed. Restarting the driver... (ZW0100)
    at Driver.destroyWithMessage (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:2769:17)
    at fail (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:3484:14)
    at /usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:3533:5
    at runNextTicks (node:internal/process/task_queues:60:5)
    at processTimers (node:internal/timers:509:9) {
  code: 100,
}
Shutting down
Closing server...
2023-09-27T16:31:09.541Z CNTRLR   [Node 017] Assigning SUC return route failed: Timeout while waiting for a call
                                  back from the controller (ZW0200)
Client disconnected
Code 1000: 
Server closed
[16:31:10] WARNING: Halt add-on
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-services successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init: stopping
s6-rc: info: service legacy-cont-init successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs: stopping
s6-rc: info: service fix-attrs successfully stopped
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner: stopping
s6-rc: info: service s6rc-oneshot-runner successfully stopped

can you open a GitHub issue with this? It sounds like an issue with the driver in the 12.0.0 release but I could be wrong. To confirm, are you running addon version 0.93?

Version list
Home Assistant 2023.9.3
Supervisor 2023.09.2
Operating System 10.5
Interface utilisateur : 20230911.0 - latest
Z-Wave JS Current version: 0.1.93

Here is the new ticket

Hi,
Today I am getting an error with Zooz Z-Wave stick:

Driver: Failed to initialize the driver: ZWaveError: The Serial API did not respond after soft-reset (ZW0100) at Driver.softResetInternal (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:2524:11) at Driver.initializeControllerAndNodes (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:1384:5) at Immediate.<anonymous> (/opt/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:1165:5) (ZW0100)

All my Z-Wave devices have become unavailable. I did upgrade HA to 2023.9.3 two days ago and Z-Wave was working fine. This evening, Z-Wave suddenly stopped working. My versions are:

Home Assistant 2023.9.3
Supervisor 2023.09.2
Operating System 10.5
Frontend 20230911.0 - latest

Z-Wave JS UI: 9.0.1
Z-Wave JS: 12.0.0

I am running HA in a VM. Not sure if I am having the same issue as described in this thread. Is there a way to confirm?

Thanks

Hi,
also the same issue here with Aeon Gen 5 Stick.Screenshot 2023-09-28 140535
looking forward to an easy solution :innocent:

Thanks

1 Like

for me same Error than in 0.1.92 is in 0.1.93 (see Printscreen in my Last Post)

also looking forward to an easy solution

Have you checked to make sure your zwave config is pointing to the correct serial port? When I updated yesterday, my zigbee and zwave sticks swapped virtual port numbers causing both networks to fail loading.

thanks for your reply. I checked that the right USB Port is selected in the z-Wave JS configuration. For me, both zigbee and zwave point to the right port. Or is there anything else i shold check?

Strange. The final part of getting my system back up seems to have been reconnecting the usb hub where my z-wave dongle is (Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5+). I had already tried restarting the host without any change, so now I don’t dare to restart :slight_smile: Note that I have installed Z-Wave JS UI 2.0.1.

Home Assistant 2023.9.3
Supervisor 2023.09.2
Operating System 10.5
Frontend 20230911.0 - latest
Z-Wave JS UI: 2.0.1

Interesting you feel this way. This is the first issue I have ever had with Z-Wave. Sometimes inclusion can get a little funky but in terms of reliability of the network, this is the first time. I love the fact that all my Z-Wave devices are on their own network; their own frequency. I have no desire to have IoT devices on my WIFI network at all.

YMMV - I’m happy to hear that your network is working for you!
We live in an old farm house +1800 sq.ft. house from late 19th century with thick log walls and a 10x10 ft chimney in the middle. To get the Z-Wave working at all we have three repeaters which has severely affected the performance of the network.
We have 4 APs in the building to get WiFi coverage and that makes the Shellys connect fine in the IoT portion of the network.

1 Like