Updating and rolling back Hassio using Portainer?

I am busy transferring my current Hassio installation from Raspberry Pi to Intel NUC. What I installed:

1. Ubuntu Server 18.04
  2. Hassio using the general installation instructions containing Home Assistant v0.84.6
  3. Portainer using these instructions

So far so good: I can reach Home Assistant on port 8123 and Portainer on port 9000. Now I would like to transfer the configuration from Pi to NUC. Two questions:

1. How can I use Portainer to create a ‘backup’ of the current Hassio-installation, so I can roll back if something gets messed up?
  2. HA on Pi is running at v0.79.3. Can I just import a snapshot of 0.79.3 in the current version 0.84.6 on the NUC?

Your config files reside outside of the actual running container. You are supposed to be able to blow away a container and stand it back up without data loss because your data resides in a specified volume or bind mount. There is zero reason to “back up a container”

Yes you can copy the config directory over but watch out for things like the new owntracks syntax and any other breaking changes since then.

Thanks for your response.

It is my understanding I could copy over a full snapshot including config and all add-ons. Not just the config folder. But my question is: will importing a snapshot of a prior HA version (0.79.3) cause any issues when I import it into HA 0.84.6 ? Besides the fact that I will need to change the configuration for breaking changes.

And as a separate question: is there a way I would be able to roll back to a previous state, app including data (config)? Or is this something I should not expect from Docker/Portainer, should I run a VM environment for this? I would like to learn about this, also because a way to roll back sounds great in case I don’t have enough time to apply all breaking changes to my configuration in one run after updating.

That’s pretty much it.

You can select different HA versions as you desire.

It has nothing to do with the way you’re running HA.

You can select different HA versions as you desire.

How?

If I understand correctly: by using that command I will roll back Hassio to a previous HA version. After which I should import a Hassio snapshot of the same version to restore my configuration. Is this correct?

Why?

The snapshot will roll you back to the version in the snapshot.

I think you’re confusing concepts.

I think I’m probably confusing concepts, that’s why I came here with some questions to learn. Unfortunately, I’m more confused now than I was before.

I will just Google my way forward, thanks for your efforts!

If you have a snapshot from a previous version, just use it.

If you don’t have a snapshot of a previous version, use the method of installing a specific version.

You don’t need to restore your configs to a previous version.

The only thing that can get touched during an upgrade is the database if you’re using sqlite3 (the default). If the database breaks you just delete the .db file and let the system generate a new one. You only lose history