Updating from 5.5 fails with no error

I’ve been poking around to try and find similar to my problem, but I can’t find anything that applies to my situation. Maybe I’m not using the correct terms in my search.

A few weeks ago I installed Home Assistant 2024.5.4 onto a new Beelink mini-pc. When the update for 5.5 came out I clicked on install and it all worked fine. Since then, attempting to update to a newer version dutifully creates a backup, and then shows a progress indicator. After several minutes, it just stops and returns to the update available message.

There is plenty of room on the drive. I’m only using 3% of the drive so far. When I check the logs, there is nothing there. When I look under repair, it says the system is fine. I’ve used the console to attempt an update, and it also gives all the appearance that it is doing so and even displays an update complete message, but when I check the status, it still tells me that I am on version 5.5 and a new version is available.

I have changed the DNS to a couple of different alternatives that have a good ping response time, but that has not helped to resolve the problem. I’ve restarted Home Assistant as well as doing a full shutdown and restart on the computer. I have not reverted to the first backup when I updated from 5.4 to 5.5. That backup was done before I had done much more than create a couple of rooms and name a few things. If I’m going to do that, then I might as well just wipe the drive and start with a fresh install of the newest version.

Hi.
It is helpful to state the whole version when you are doing a question like this to prevent confusion. Especially if you are talking about out of date versions.

Current version of Core is 2024.6.4. I would suggest you try you update to that one. I know of no known issues with 2024.5.5 (If there was even a 2024.5.5), but that was over a month ago, so hard to remember, TBH.

I beg your pardon for typing the wrong version number and misleading you to the point of confusion.

The entire reason I’m here is because updating to 2024.6.1, 2024.6.2, 2024.6.3, as well as 2024.6.4 have all failed.

typing ha core info into the terminal returns (among other things) the following info:
version: 2024.5.5
version_latest: 2024.6.4

If I type ha core update into the terminal, it says it’s working, then reports success. But when I type info it returns the same results as above. Repeatedly.

I did get supervisor to update to 2024.06.0, but that’s the only update that has worked so far.

Did you try from here, in a dashboard?
Open your Home Assistant instance and manage your pending updates.
That should tell you that the update is available.

Other things to check are if the YAML is ok with a config check:
Developer Tools - YAML - Check Configuration
And if that passes I would restart Home Assistant and try again. There may be more information in the logs as to why it isn’t updating.

It does tell me that I have an update. I checked the YAML configuration and it says everything is OK and the configuration will not prevent a restart of Home Assistant.

I check to make sure the logs are all clear and click update. Several minutes later the progress bar stops. I restart Home Assistant and it still says I need to update. The log is still clear and there is nothing in the repair menu either.

This is what happens every time I try to update.

And you click the update there where it tells you about it, you try, and it fails.

Yes. If HA is giving any feedback on why I can’t find it. I was trying to find a place to extend the time out limit to see if that would help, but I don’t know enough about linux systems to find and fix it.

Try to update without backing up and then check the supervisor logs if it fails.

It’s hard to believe that the update fails but nothing is put into the Core log or the Supervisor log.

Anything odd show up when you just now restarted HAOS?

Nope. It works fine. There are a few log entries as HA tries to contact something that isn’t available like some Lifx bulbs turned off at the switch (my wife’s training is incomplete in the ways of the smart home).

I have tried updating without backing up as well. It didn’t change the outcome. When I do let it back up, that is the only indication that the update process has done anything at all other than make the progress bar move.

Try to look into the file called home-assistant.log.1 in your config library.

Home assistant supervisor had an update to 2024.06.2 (I’m currently on 2024.06.0). I clicked install and got the usual progress indicator for several minutes and then nothing happens. But when I go into the system and check some logs there is finally some kind of feedback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 259, in async_install
    await async_update_supervisor(self.hass)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 59, in _wrapper
    data = await funct(*argv, **kwargs)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 242, in async_update_supervisor
    return await hassio.send_command(command, timeout=None)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 593, in send_command
    raise HassioAPIError(error.get(ATTR_MESSAGE))
homeassistant.components.hassio.handler.HassioAPIError: Update of Supervisor failed: Can't install ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:2024.06.2: 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.45/images/create?tag=2024.06.2&fromImage=ghcr.io%2Fhome-assistant%2Famd64-hassio-supervisor&platform=linux%2Famd64: Internal Server Error ("Get "https://ghcr.io/v2/": net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)")

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 239, in handle_call_service
    response = await hass.services.async_call(
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2738, in async_call
    response_data = await coro
                    ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 2779, in _execute_service
    return await target(service_call)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 975, in entity_service_call
    single_response = await _handle_entity_call(
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 1047, in _handle_entity_call
    result = await task
             ^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 157, in async_install
    await entity.async_install_with_progress(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 461, in async_install_with_progress
    await self.async_install(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 261, in async_install
    raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Error updating Home Assistant Supervisor: Update of Supervisor failed: Can't install ghcr.io/home-assistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:2024.06.2: 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.45/images/create?tag=2024.06.2&fromImage=ghcr.io%2Fhome-assistant%2Famd64-hassio-supervisor&platform=linux%2Famd64: Internal Server Error ("Get "https://ghcr.io/v2/": net/http: request canceled while waiting for connection (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)")

So it looks like it’s timing out.

It is not timing out.
It is throwing an error.

Can you open https://ghcr.io/v2/ in a browser?
You should get some text about authorization and not an error page.
If you get an error page, then your ISP or your malware scanners are blocking the Github and associated domains.

Apparently not. I got this:

{“errors”:[{“code”:“UNAUTHORIZED”,“message”:“authentication required”}]}

It would have to be my ISP (Spectrum) that’s blocking it. Any way to get around that? Somehow use the router or another PC to get the home assistant computer to go through a VPN?

It is not being blocked by your ISP. You are getting the correct response in json from the server.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 09-32-01

You would see something like this if it was blocked:

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 09-34-42 Server Not Found

Well crap. Is there something I can do to fix this?

Try to run “ha resolution info” on the CLI, either remotely by using an addon like Advanced SSH & Web Terminal or by doing it directly on the monitor.
Sometimes it can be the IPv6 setup of your network that is faulty and HA will as most devices prioritized IPv6 over IPv4 and therefore fail.
DIsabling IPv6 and try to update might show if that is the case.

OK. I finally found something that worked. You were close WallyR. IPv6 was the problem, but the problem was It wasn’t turned on at all. I found a thread on GitHub that showed me what to do. Here is the relevant quote:

GGSSDD commented on Feb 11 •

Just wanted to say that I finally found out what was causing so much trouble and headache with my HA setup, in case someone else stumbles upon this matter. It was a discrepancy in the IPv6 setting between my router and HA that was causing all my cloud based integrations and other internet dependent services, like update, to fail.
I’ve changed the IPv6 setting in my router from DHCPv6 to automatic while keeping it to automatic in HA.
Now everything works perfect once more. I was able to perform all the pending updates and also updated the core to the latest version.
I don’t know what caused this or why it happened all of a sudden right after the core update, but perhaps it’s just a coincidence.

Fixed it in my router and the update went through without any problem.

1 Like

exact same problem here. Failed to uptade previous versions. and now i am stuck with 5.5 and if i try to uptade it fails with now errror. And I need to restart everything before its back on 5.5 an working again.