Updating in the past week or so is not proceeding

whoa Nick - After moving the NUC to try and get a monitor and then plugging it back in and restarting I now have supervisor showing latest version. Core is still back on 2024.7.4
Do you recommend always updating supervisor first? Or doesn’t it matter?
Pat

I’ve got a feeling that my HA knows I’m serious about fixes when I get the NZ law team involved. Will try the core again overnight.
Pat

:slight_smile:

I don’t think it matters what order. If you have a core update that needs a new supervisor, it will say so, and in any event supervisor updates automatically.

Nick
still learning here. Often when I go to updates it shows core and supervisor as separate entries.
Not being a linux bloke I thought they were different. You’re saying that a core update will do the supervisor as well? Why then would it show in the update list if done automatically?
Pat

No I am saying that they are separate updates.

If both are showing, and you try to update them in the wrong order it will tell you.

Supervisor updates automatically, so if you see it in the update nitrification area, it will update itself in due course and disappear from updates.

Nick
as stated previously my HA is obviously aware that you were onto it. Both supervisor and core have updated today.
thanks for your help again.
Pat

2 Likes

Great. But sure I did anything useful though lol.

Actually it will not tell you as such.
It will hide the update that can’t be installed, if it dependencies are not met.

Not in my experience.

My experience has been the same as nick’s. There’s usually a brief period when you can see both the supervisor and the core update available at the same time. You have to catch it before the supervisor updates automatically though, so unless the supervisor update fails, it’s only there for a little while.

For OS upgrades, though, you’re right - there are dependency considerations. It will only allow you to update incrementally to the next final minor OS release version instead of installing the latest update directly.
In my case I had to update from 10.3 > 11.4 > 12.4 instead of going directly from 10.3 > 12.4.

It will only be visible if it can be installed, but you are right if it can be installed, then it will happen automatically, unless you actually put in some work to disable automatic Supervisor updates.