Updating to 2023.5.2 from 2023.5.1 takes a long time

Hi,

I’ve started the Update about 20 Minutes ago. Is this normal for it taking so long?

It’s running here on a proxmox server as VM (using 4 cores of a AMD Ryzen 9 4900H with Radeon Graphics) and 4 GB of RAM.

Up your RAM. Mine has 12GB.

That is not needed. By all means up the RAM, but it shouldn’t take much time.

You probably struck a slow link to a file or something.

It should take less than 4 mins to complete.

That took at least 30 Minutes and it’s not the first time updating took so long (but upping the RAM is something i can do, got enough on the proxmox host^^)

Upping the RAM from 4GB I do not think is of any help. You can set the min to 2GB and max to 8GB, however, unless you have a large installation, HA will not use any more than 2GB. Having too many add-ons will obviously increase RAM resources.

The issue is possibly slow DNS resolution, or something else wrong with your LAN (e.g. VLANs, routing, gateway, NAT, DHCP, etc). I think this is a network related issue, either physical or digital.

Network is working fine, rebooting the System is fast as well. THe issue must be with something other that network.

Is there any way i could debug that next time?

How long it takes for Proxmox to update?

Also in the PVE NIC for HAOS check the MTU is equal that of the bridge, plus you have not applied any rate limiters.

Proxmox itself updates in well beyond one minute, the NICs MTU is fine as well.

Updating to 2023.06 took about 2-3 hours. I need some more infos on how to debug this on HomeAssisatnt OS itself. Every other VM on Proxmox is working fine.

If that helps (Yes, increasing the RAM didn’t do anything, no surprise there)

A number of suggestions:

Memory: 4G
Machine: q35
Hard Disk: IOthread enable

Following these changes restart the VM and see if things run with no issues.

I’ll try that, thanks ^^ And will report (if i remember) when the next update comes

Doesnt boot with machine type q35, changing disk to VirtIO works

q35 is possible on the hardware you are using. q35 is managed by QEMU. It could be something installed in your system. Possibly something installed using the Proxmox shell that has affected this functionality. Check the repos Proxmox updates from.

Try to install another instance of HAOS using q35. If you want follow my guide, which has a complete manual installation walkthrough.

I think i now understand what the problem is - it’s not updating in itself, it’s backup creation that takes a lot of time, which doesn’t surprise me (runnging a lot of integrations and addons, icluding grafana and influxdb

Your installation guide is quite nice, migrated the my installation and runs fine, creating backups then still takes a lot of time. In that time HA creates a backup i could easily backup and restore th VM in proxmox itself…

That being said:

Backup is now faster - the resulting backup is 7 GiB in Size. I’ll markj your proxmox recommendations as Solution, thanks for that. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the positive feedback. You can fully automate Proxmox VM backup using full snapshots at a time when you are not using HAOS. The VM is fully running while backup takes place, but is locked as to not allow any state changes. Depending on HW, FS and HAOS size it can take from a few mins to an hour for backup completion.

This backup method is robust and if you get no backup errors (e.g. not enough disk space) you can safely take a bet you can restore the backup with no issues.

Yeah, i know. Backups in Proxmox are easy (i do them daily and store them on my nas).

And restoring them is quite easy as well.

But the backupo inside of home assistant takes a lot of time (more time then it takes proxmox to do one of the VM)