Upgrade from Raspberry Pi to N54L server

Hi All. Currently using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Hassio. Had just got everything looking great with lovelace, went to create a snapshot. Left it doing it’s thing, went out, came back and noticed some automations not working. Seems the SD Card has died :frowning:

As I believe this could be an issue again, and just to give me a bit more horsepower I’m looking at installing HA on my HP Proliant N54L server that I have. It’s currently running Windows 7, with Plex server, Sonarr, Radarr and SABnzbd running on it. Had looked at changing the system over to something else but held off as everything was working and all the drives are in windows format and populated with media. The OS is running on a 240gb ssd drive.

Now ready to bite the bullet and get rid of Windows 7 and run something else. Ideally would like to keep using Hassio (have used hasbian so not out of the question, but I like the direction hassio is moving in). Recommended way of doing this? Any way of keeping the storage drives as they are, or are they going to need reformatting to work with a new OS (this put me off change in the past).

I know that I could purchase another machine, but as I already have hardware that should be capable of doing a decent job would like to use that if possible. Also, with the camera component getting some great new features it would make sense to have hassio running on the ‘storage’ server.

Many thanks for any tips!

You could try installing VirtualBox and running Debian or Ubuntu in a VM with a bridged network adapter and install Hassio there
From my experience, I do not recommend the Hassio HassOS based VM images. I personally prefer Debian but the Linux installation instructions focus on Ubuntu.

Thanks for this, I went with virtualbox but did use the hassOS based image as there were plenty of guides to do it this way. So far, so good. Particularly noticeable is camera streaming where having the extra power that a pi lacks is great.

When I used the HassOs image in VirtualBox it randomly dropped network connectivity requiring a reboot of the VM.