Upgrade Home Assistant from version 2023.9.3 to 2023.12.1 (latest) on container at Qnap NAS

I have Home Assistant version 2023.9.3 installed and runs successfully. Trying ping function and told that it is now part of 2023.12.1 build. Trying to upgrade and getting nowhere.

My Home Assistant version is 2023.9.3 in container station (v3.0.5.623) at Qnap NAS TS431P.

Here are what I performed

1. in HA, settings, system, update. it shows latest.
  2. search the web, try working on Qnap web console. In container station, tried stop existing HA container. create new container using latest image from docker hub. It loads but, all configuration are not moved over. I need reconfig from scratch. Tried to pull to old container backup. It seems to be no easy way to get other container backup into new container. Not good. delete both image and container. Tried duplicate container. it doesn’t update to HA version from web.

anyone can share me easy way to upgrade the HA version?

You probably need something like this: Update Container Version in QNAP Container Station 2 - Brian Prom Blog

thanks. tried to following and noticed I have container station v3. And I can’t find mirror existing container config option. Not sure what happened. Asking Qnap support now.

Finally get it done. For your reference

1. I got Qnap TS431p with latest firmware and container station v3.0.5.623. It has bug. I will report to Qnap. So using recreate or duplicate container option, it doesn’t copy or move config settings. It does same as create new container from scratch.
  2. Qnap support tried to push me off by saying it is HA issue. After remote section, he seems has little knowledge of container station. Not blame him as i won’t expect their first level support are expert.
  3. After reading through a few notes in HA community, I realised that HA core that installed in container do have backup feature. However, it has no restore feature. Basically it backs up the config folder. So you can manually move to new installation.
  4. In my case, I used Qnap web console to do following all job to get upgrade.
  5. find existing 2023.9.3 HA core config folder location via Qnap File station. hint, I used search funtion to search configuration.yaml. record the folder structure.
  6. in Qnap container station, Stop existing 2023.9.3 HA
  7. Create new container to install HA 2023.12.1. in advance settings, config same network settings as existing 2023.9.3 HA.
  8. After new 2023.12.1 HA installed and running. Ensure it is working by sign in and create a user on any HA client broswer.
  9. in Qnap Container station, stop the new 2023.12.1 HA.
  10. in Qnap File station, find new 2023.12.1 HA config folder location.
  11. Rename new 2023.12.1 HA config folder to config.org
  12. Copy existing 2023.9.3 config folder to new 2023.12.1 location.
  13. Start 2023.12.1 HA, you will find all config settings loaded and works. :slight_smile:
1 Like