Upgrade of docker image

I recently moved my install to a new Raspberry PI 3B+. When I moved it over I switched from running HA in a virtual machine to using a docker image and it has worked great. But I can’t seem to upgrade to the latest image. I am running Debian on the RPi. I know that HA just switched to a different variant for the docker image, and I apologize if this is a dumb question but I am a Windows developer primarly, I don’t know if I need to switch the whole RPi to the other Linux flavor, delete and reinstall the docker image or something else? I upgrade using

sudo docker pull homeassistant/home-assistant:latest

and it works fine but will not pull past 0.97.0b0

What’m I doing wrong?

Thanks

This pulls the image, but the docker container will then need to be re-created using this new image.
Are you seeing 0.97.0b0 in HA (the container) or when you do:

sodu docker image ls

If you see 0.97.0b0 in HA Dev Tools Info screen, then it is what I stated above - the container needs recreated (you have to do this after every image update). If you are seeing this in the docker image list that is another issue (BTW you’ll have two after the pull - old image and new image).

DeadEnd

Here are my update steps. And it works for me! You will have to change the last one to be your path, mine is docker on a NUC.

sudo docker stop home-assistant
sudo docker rm home-assistant
sudo docker pull homeassistant/home-assistant
sudo docker run -d --network=host --name home-assistant -v /home/jason/homeassistant:/config  homeassistant/home-assistant

Thank you both very much! Now up and running on 0.98.5!

If you use docker compose, it’s a simple command.

docker-compose pull && docker-compose up -d

2 Likes

No need to run docker via sudo.

You’re right I just went to try it without and I’ve actually already been running it without sudo.