Upgrade to 2021.7.3 - grpcio<2.0dev,>=1.38.1'

Config checker coming up with:

Testing configuration at /tmp/config
Fatal error while loading config: (grpcio 1.31.0 (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages), Requirement.parse('grpcio<2.0dev,>=1.38.1'), {'google-cloud-pubsub'})
Failed config
  General Errors: 
    - (grpcio 1.31.0 (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages), Requirement.parse('grpcio<2.0dev,>=1.38.1'), {'google-cloud-pubsub'})

Currently on 2021.6.2 image

I’m not using Google Cloud, though do have google_translate for TTS (used hardly ever). Assuming not a big issue to upgrade, but new error so figured I’d throw it out there.

Thx in advance!

Bueller… Bueller…?

I’m having a similar issue when using the upgrade configuration checker. I use Google Cloud for integration with Nest.

[15:28:40] ERROR: The configuration check did not pass!
[15:28:40] ERROR: See the output below for more details.
Testing configuration at /tmp/config
Fatal error while loading config: (grpcio 1.31.0 (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages), Requirement.parse('grpcio<2.0dev,>=1.38.1'), {'google-cloud-pubsub'})
Failed config
  General Errors: 
    - (grpcio 1.31.0 (/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages), Requirement.parse('grpcio<2.0dev,>=1.38.1'), {'google-cloud-pubsub'})

Successful config (partial)

Currently on core-2021.7.2, running on Home Assistant OS 6.1 on an RPi4.

I’m seeing this as well… I have travis-ci setup, and attempting a check for lastest HA 2021.7.4 gets me the same output:

INFO:homeassistant.util.package:Attempting install of scapy==2.4.5
INFO:homeassistant.util.package:Attempting install of aiodiscover==1.4.2
Fatal error while loading config: (grpcio 1.31.0 (/home/travis/virtualenv/python3.8.7/lib/python3.8/site-packages), Requirement.parse('grpcio<2.0dev,>=1.38.1'), {'google-cloud-pubsub'})
Failed config
  General Errors: 
    - (grpcio 1.31.0 (/home/travis/virtualenv/python3.8.7/lib/python3.8/site-packages), Requirement.parse('grpcio<2.0dev,>=1.38.1'), {'google-cloud-pubsub'})
The command "hass -c . --script check_config" exited with 1.

I tried installing grpcio 1.38.1, and 1.39.0 but get the following for both:

INFO:homeassistant.util.package:Attempting install of ha-ffmpeg==3.0.2
Fatal error while loading config: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/travis/virtualenv/python3.8.7/lib/python3.8/site-packages/grpcio-1.38.1.dist-info/METADATA'
Failed config
  General Errors: 
    - [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/travis/virtualenv/python3.8.7/lib/python3.8/site-packages/grpcio-1.38.1.dist-info/METADATA'
The command "hass -c . --script check_config" exited with 1.

Thinking it is related to this: Pin gRPC to 1.31.0

If the version is pinned to 1.31.0, but google-cloud-pubsub requires >= 1.38.1, even if you install a newer version home assistant downgrades it back to 1.31.0.

Which in turn looks like it is related to google-cloud-pubsub now requiring 1.38.1 to prevent a crash that was being encountered on M1 Macs: require grpcio >= 1.38.1 to prevent a possible crash

I submitted this issue on github for the problem.

Has this issue been fixed? I noticed it when I went to check the config for 2021.8.0. I checked the github link but don’t see anything that indicate its status.

I don’t think so, it looks like the pull request to address the issue was canceled, not sure why. But the issue remains open… maybe they are going to attempt to unpin grpcio rather than try and pin google-cloud-pubsub to a lower version that is still compatible with grpcio 1.31.0

Anyone try updating to 2021.07.x or 2021.08.x? If so - was it successful? Assuming this won’t interfere w/ 99.5% of functionality outside of this, but figured I’d ask to be ‘safe’. Thx!