Upgrade to Home Assistant OS 7.6 failed

After a long time I’m completely rebuilding Home Assistant, split my configuration.yaml and start new.

I have issues with the upgrade to HA OS 7.6. This is what I’ve done:

• Downloaded the latest .vdi from getting started on home-assistant.io (I’m running HA on VirtualBox)

• When the system came up I got the message that 7.6 was available so I pressed install; the progress bar runs for a while then nothing happens HAOS

• Checking the log shows that the service failed - see attached; this is a plain vanilla install

2022-04-08 09:29:03 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error executing service: <ServiceCall update.install (c:207eafbc45501c6b9ba3176e93199be5): entity_id=['update.home_assistant_operating_system_update'], version=7.6, backup=False>
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 212, in async_install await async_update_os(self.hass, version)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 47, in _wrapper raise HassioAPIError(data["message"])
homeassistant.components.hassio.handler.HassioAPIError: Unknown error, see supervisor
The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1652, in catch_exceptions await coro_or_task
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1671, in _execute_service await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 204, in handle_service await service.entity_service_call(
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 677, in entity_service_call future.result() # pop exception if have
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 955, in async_request_call await coro
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 714, in _handle_entity_call await result
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 146, in async_install await entity.async_install_with_progress(version, backup)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 387, in async_install_with_progress await self.async_install(version, backup)
File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 214, in async_install raise HomeAssistantError(homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Error updating Home Assistant Operating System: Unknown error, see supervisor

Where’s this going wrong?

Does anyone have any ideas why this is failing? I get the following error

Logger: homeassistant.core
Source: components/hassio/update.py:214
First occurred: 1:32:08 AM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 1:32:08 AM

Error executing service: <ServiceCall update.install (c:c0c0396f43c3058c58cfdd06abfd4fa4): entity_id=['update.home_assistant_operating_system_update'], version=7.6, backup=False>
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 212, in async_install
    await async_update_os(self.hass, version)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/handler.py", line 47, in _wrapper
    raise HassioAPIError(data["message"])
homeassistant.components.hassio.handler.HassioAPIError: Unknown error, see supervisor

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1652, in catch_exceptions
    await coro_or_task
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1671, in _execute_service
    await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 204, in handle_service
    await service.entity_service_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 677, in entity_service_call
    future.result()  # pop exception if have
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 955, in async_request_call
    await coro
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 714, in _handle_entity_call
    await result
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 146, in async_install
    await entity.async_install_with_progress(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/update/__init__.py", line 387, in async_install_with_progress
    await self.async_install(version, backup)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/hassio/update.py", line 214, in async_install
    raise HomeAssistantError(
homeassistant.exceptions.HomeAssistantError: Error updating Home Assistant Operating System: Unknown error, see supervisor

Did you find a solution? I have the same problem. Also running HA in virtualbox

Same here!

I have some more info on this although I’m not sure it’s relevant. As mentioned in the first post I’m running HA in VirtualBox and can’t upgrade to Home Assistant OS 7.6.

Today I have upgraded to the latest core 2022.4.6 and tried the upgrade of Home Assistant again to 7.6. After selecting ‘Install’ to 7.6 nothing the install progress bar stops after a while and at the same time I see the following message on the Home Assistant CLI (the output on the virtual machine)

EXT4-fs (sda4): VFS: Can't find ext4 filesystem

I used the original .vdi on the home assistant website to build the system and followed the recommendation of virtual machine settings. Did something go wrong with the initial install here?

Exactly the same error message. Where should we report this?

Sam problem also, running HA in virtualbox.

I did increase the size of my partition before trying to do the upgrade so wonder if the problem is related to this.

Seems like a lot of us have this issue; still haven’t been able to fix this

It’s finally working. I was able to update to OS 6.6. After installing it, I was able to upgrade to 7.6

All good now.

Was able to update to OS 8.1 after updating to core-2022.5.5.