Upgrades today have caused constant unresponsive warnings, resulting in repetitive driver restarts and z wave interruptions

As a start, if you can still access the ZUI settings, I’d fix your USB path. Use the /dev/serial/by-id path that is for your device, not /dev/ttyACM0:

The by-id path is persistent, while the ACM0 one is sometimes not, it could now be ACM1.

Otherwise, you can restore to a backup of the previous version. Might need a system reboot if the device path is not ACM0.

Many thanks @freshcoast. I can access the setting in the Z-Wave JS UI. But I am newbie-challenged. How do I figure out the path of my zwave stick. I should note that I am running HA in a KVM virtual machine. I pass through the zwave stick to the KVM, but I have no idea where it is on the virtual box. How do I go about finding out?

Click on the pull down menu like in the screenshot. Another view:

@freshcoast Unfortunately no devices are listed in the drop down menu. Just /dev/ttyS0 through /dev/ttyS3.

Sounds like the USB pass-through is no longer working then.

@freshcoast Many thanks. I detached and then reattached my usb zwave stick the kvm virtual machine and the zwave devices appear. Thanks!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I am still unable to get my zwave stick to work when I upgrade to 2.0.1. When restore a back up, I get the same driver error and only with the older version does detaching and reattaching the zwave stick resolve the error. But even then, it looks like all of my zwave relays (light switches) are not found by the controller.

Appreciate this post. This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. After the updates and a restart, my zigbee and zwave sticks flipped. I am using /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1. Both were failing to start. Took me a while to figure out what was happening.

I was just going to ask how to make sure that doesn’t happen again. Now I have my answer. :slight_smile:

So glad to hear I wasn’t alone here. I thought I had hardware die because I have never had an issue upgrading Z-Wave software before. I spend hours troubleshooting stuff that wasn’t the issue. I have never been so happy to have a full backup from 7 days ago. I seem to back up and running but I am not grabbing those new updates until someone else confirms they work.

Well, the problem is then, if we all wait for that, nobody will report anything :slight_smile:
Vicious circle.
So I do always update, not worrying that much, as I have weekly automatic full backup.
It’s only, that the restore is a pain in the ass with it’s 6 hours of freeze :slight_smile: I can only do that, when nobody is home…
But someone has to be the one running into problems, for the ones, who wait aside :smiley:

2 Likes

I finally got the new Z-Wave JS v2.0.1 upgrade working. I run HA in a KVM (on Ubuntu server 23.04). I followed the most recent comments in the GitHub page linked to above. Specifically, before starting the update, I made sure my zwave devices were working. Then inside the Z-Wave JS UI, I disabled the soft reset (Settings → Zwave → disable “Soft Reset”). Then I upgraded to v2.0.1 and all of my zwave devices were there.

Running Ubuntu w. QEMU/KVM, I can confirm that using the updated 2.0.1 AddOn that the soft reset causes the Host to see the Aeotec ZStick 5 move USB Device numbers. For QEMU/KVM USB pass-through configs that qualifies the source with device number, this will for sure cause ZWaveJS to raise a driver failure. And yes, disabling the soft-reset solves this problem.

2 days ago, while not being home, I updated both Zwave and Deconz add-ons… Total disaster, not only both networks went down, but also half of integrations stopped to work (including supervisor, mobile app, several custome ones). Luckily I do full daily backup of HA VM, so restore was ~30 minutes. Anyhow the big question for me is if anyone esle experiwnced such disaster? I underatand that updated integration goes down, but half of HA? BTW, in my case integration failed to initiate device driver (what I recall from UI), so perhaps also device was changed… buyt I’m using full device path (/dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00) so issue described above about device name change should not be the root cause… I’ll retry tomorrow, hopefully update versions indeed fix the problem.

You aren’t the only one. It’s been a crash, troubleshoot and full restore exercise for lots of people.
I’ve not yet reinstalled any of the updates as I need to plan a chunk of time to deal with another possible restore.
Some people have had luck with z wave firmware updates
Some turning off soft reset
Some deleting dead nodes.
I’ve never had anything go so badly wrong as with these latest updates and cannot delete a dead node, so everything can stay as pending updates for now.

So decided to give another chance with ‘fixed version’ (per @raman325 post), but no luck :frowning: It went somehow better, as this time none of other ntegrations was affected, but entire Zwave network went down - unable to initialize serial driver. Additionally I checked few things; ESXi does see the stick and it is configured for passthrough connection, HA do see the stick as well, finally the Zwave JS also do see it properly. It just fails to talk to the device…
Now restoring whole system from backup as I write this…

I’m not even using passthrough (Raspberry Pi install with direct connected stick, also selected by ID, latest gen5+ firmware also), and I had it happen.
The only thing I can trace the possibility to at the moment is that there is one dead node on the network causing a problem - but it shouldn’t crash zwave.
My concern is if i remove that (and i’d rather get it working again, but thats another topic), and leave soft reset enabled like advised, another dead node at some point will take the network down without warning.

Man I hope they find a solution soon I have like 99% zwave equipment in my home so nothing is working haha.

Anyone had any luck with a workaround for zwave.me uzb1 gen5 stick ? I tested the tips above with no luck.

Same, I have 60 z-wave devices and most of my smarthome is z-wave, from ponds to heating to wall switches. It cant be broken :slight_smile:

For me with the same stick worked: Restore full backup, when ZwaveJS the firt update came. Block updates of Zwave. Wait until the last version was released (x.3) and then update.

Everything works fine now.

I updated the firmware i turned of Soft reset still broken.

Does anyone know if the issue only affects 5ft gen in other word if i buy a 7th gen will it work ?