Upgrading a Wired Security System - Looking for Options

My house came with an ADT SafeWatchPro 3000 installed. The system has multiple door switches and PIR motion sensors. I’d like to upgrade the system, and bring it into this HA age. Ultimately I’d like all of this to be run from Home Assistant.

I’ve done a bit of reading and there are few options out there, including this hardware: ESP32, Konnected.io, RPI and a multitude of sensors.

I’d like to get a bit more pointers and experience from fellow HA/Security enthusiasts on how to upgrade my home/system.

Thank You

Since it is wired, you need to determine how the data is handled.
If your sensors are just reed switches then it is fairly easy. For the motion sensors you will have to figure out which is power and which is your ‘input’.
I assume that everything goes to a centralized location. How many sensors? Do you know the voltage requirements for each sensor?

Hi @GlennA. The sensors appear to be purely mechanical spring-loaded push buttons (not reed). They are made by Sentrol and look very similar to the picture below i.e., not very ‘smart’. There are 4 of them, and are fed by 2-wire cables each. I just checked with a multi-meter and the resistance is very large when the doors are open (switch not pressed) and very small when the doors are closed (switch pressed).

There are also 3 PIR motion sensors, and those are fed by 4-wire cables. I just broke one while trying to remove it, so might be a good idea to replace them all. The connections say 12V DC, but I just measured and it’s near 13.5 V. This will likely change if I get a totally new controller/board. The box/board is an ADT system (pictures below). I initially thought there were switches for the windows but no, I checked and there were none. The system is about 18 years old and due for a face-lift. So, moving forward, here is what I’d like to do:

1. Re-purpose/re-use the door switches (or at least their wires), might even replace the switches with something more modern if needed.
  2. Install wireless switches for the windows
  3. Replace the main board, downstairs in the basement.
  4. Replace the main control keypad (near the entrance door), used to arm/disarm the system.
  5. Also replace the PIR sensors, most likely there is newer/better technology today.

Appreciate the help.

ADT_Panel

That panel is an Ademco Vista 20p rebranded as ADT, there are multiple ways to integrate into HA without having to rewire or fully reprogram the system

Thank you. Could you provide some pointers ?

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02UoQF5BBVinSkAM-TL0z-kzMAGDg%3A1615351086019&ei=Lk1IYK5YnZjj4Q_fjqCACw&q=Ademco+Vista+20p+home+assistant&oq=Ademco+Vista+20p+home+assistant&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyBwghEAoQoAE6BAgAEEc6BAgAEEM6AggAOgYIABAWEB46BQghEKABUKIBWMojYMAlaABwA3gAgAGlA4gB2RySAQowLjEuMTMuMC4xmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiup63d86TvAhUdzDgGHV8HCLAQ4dUDCA4&uact=5

Thank you … got some serious reading for the weekend.

I am using an Envisalink4. However, the first think I would do in your case is replace that ancient keypad with a newer one like a 6160

could you kindly explain what the 6160 provides? it looks rather simplistic and a bit similar to the one i have … unless the differences are in the inner parts.

It is mainly the quality of display, the 6160 is a full alpha display, so it can be used as a programmer for the panel. It also does not say ADT on it.

I have 1 6160 ad 1 6160RF, the RF adds a high security wireless transceiver to add 5800 series wireless sensors.

Ok. If i’m planning to use Home Assistant, do I still need the 6160?
I’m also planning to add some wireless windows sensors, would those interface directly to HA (via some USB hub) or I need the 6160 in between ?

the 6160RF is specifically for Honeywell 5800 series wireless devices, like window sensors, keyfobs, etc. Adding them through the security panel will add them to HA if they are integrated, but they still have the limitations of the panel zones.

Integrating into HA requires a device like the EVL4 to be added as an additional keypad, you can do that with the old keypads, but it is not fun. The alpha keypads make programming a lot easier, and if there is a zone fault it will tell you the actual zone name instead of just a number.

The advantages of 5800 series sensors is that they offer UL grade encrypted security and supervision, along with very long battery life, and they are on an isolated frequency with very good range and low interference. I am using one of the keyfobs to replace my garage door remote for security reasons.

Sounds like I have to do a lot of reading, and re-assess my budget …
20x windows sensors+ 6160rf + envisalink …is about $700 …

How about these sensors? not as secure?

https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Wireless-Window-Contact-4655BC0-R/dp/B07HN5CZCX/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wireless+window+sensor+ecolink&qid=1615356577&s=hi&sr=1-3

Those are 2.4GHz Zigbee sensors, not the kind to be used for actual security, but are ok for non security applications. You also need a Zigbee bridge integrated into HA to use them. And since they are 2.4GHz, they are susceptible to interference and poor battery life in proximity to WiFi/Bluetooth transmissions, as well as other devices sharing that frequency.

Fire and Safety Plus has the 6160RF new for $110, I have bought from them before.

You can get the sensors in a 2 pack for $31, that brings down the total to $520

EDIT and it looks like you can get a 10pk as well for $136, bringing the total to $482

Thank you very much Richie. I need to re-evaluate my ‘strategy’ here, based on the numbers you shared. I’m interested in ‘basic’ security … whatever that means… as I’m still on a learning curve.

All the Very Best

I am currently using Konnected Alarm Pro (https://konnected.io/) through HA to monitor the zones on my Vista 20P. I did remove the main PCB and connected the zones to the Konnnected panel directly, but they do offer a interface kit so you can continue to use your alarm system as is.