Upgrading from Pi to something more powerful, what to choose?

could the new supervisor cause increased processor activity? After today’s update to supervisor-2021.06.3 there’s an immediate spike in core temp:

I did take the pi to the attic, which is a lot warmer than the house. So you can see the halt, and power after that, but it now is permanently (too) high…

And that is with a SSD for the config, so no SD card reading/writing actions at all.

I updated the supervisor earlier tonight. I saw no significant change, other than a little RAM being freed up:

hmm, o well, maybe I just need a https://www.amazon.nl/Youmine-Raspberry-Aluminum-Housing-Cooling/dp/B08YF1S84N to cool it :wink:
and take it down from the attic again…

I cant believe you are still running on a pi. Your system is huge.

1 Like

little engine that could

yeah, well, I might be tempted to upgrade some hardware, but everything does work fine (albeit being a bit hot) … and I want the energy consumption to be as low as possible.

Had a glance at the new Blue package for that, but it seems a bit overpriced for the offerings, so guess a true upgrade, like a NUC would be more obvious.

Of course I could slim down a bit too, eg have 4 or 5 weather integrations, just to pick a few sensors the others dont have, or are more precise. etc etc.

that being said, I cant help but conclude 2021.6 is simply more demanding than 2021.5, of which the same could be said compared to its predecessor… hope this stops somewhere.

I’ve only noticed about a 1% increase in CPU use:

of course your mileage will vary, guess the installed integrations make the difference.
Nice graph btw. Almost invisible :wink: always nice and blue

My beefy setup runs at 35w 18w (just checked), which is eqivalent to 1 100w LED light bulbs or 2 60w LED light bulbs. Definitely shouldn’t be a deciding factor IMO. I should also mention I’m running 5 cameras & object detection with 24/7 recording (only at 640x480) on top of HA.

Your pi, with all the computations it’s doing is probably around 6-8w. I doubt you’ll see an increase more than $5/year with a beefier setup.

1 Like

18W? wow, that is really nice. any details on your hardware config? As a matter of fact, I am about to add the camera’s you mention, and was thinking of a dedicated device for that (is what I mostly do, only integrate in HA)

I guess my Rpi’s (have 3 running) with the added USB hub almost top those 18watts…

i5 nuc running Supervised HA on debian. Cost me about ~$500 for this. 250 gb ssd, 8mb ram, tall case.
I have some old synology server with 3 TB storage. HA’s database and media (video feeds & clips) are stored on the synology server. The server was ~$300, and the specs are not great at all but it’s running maria db, phpadmin, and plex.

1 Like

thanks! will use the summer for some exploration.

where can I ask you about your button template for sensor? Id like to add the graph, but run into specifics that go beyond this topic :wink: Button-card maybe?

Everything is in my config, but my config uses lovelace gen.

To add… I run 2 homeassistants, frigate with 5 cams 8mp object on a nuc8i5 and this is my power consumption

During the day I see a few watts extra for AI. Overall heat is my biggest problem…

yes, thanks, I copied the relevant bit to my button config, but have an issue

shouldn’t have said that of course… shortly after that another meltdown of the PI happened. Can’t imagine it to be the SSD in this case, since not has its own power, but see how the ambient temperature influences the Pi directly, apparently up to a breaking situation:

the 15 degrees drop is caused by moving the pi back downstairs again…

the Sandisk Extreme 500GB SSD runs quite hot too I must admit, I feel it having a rubbery exterior doesn’t help cooling it, opposed to the aluminium of my earlier Samsung 250GB T3. The Sandisk is supposed to be faster, but I can’t find any specs on power rating. Samsung has a nice tiny led, indicating action, which is nice feedback the Sandisk lacks too…

may I ask why you don’t run all of this on the Nuc? if the Nuc has a better processor than the Synology, wouldn’t that be possible? Cant it handle the video streaming of the camera’s?

Because ssd memory is expensive and hdd are not. My NUC only has 250gb

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Home Assistant SAerver Hardware

61.3 C in the attic; toasty! I think I misread the graph … !?!

What kind of temperature sensing device are you using? Perhaps something where the actual sensor is on a long lead in the attic, connected to the electronics portion which resides in a cooler location?