Upgrading from Raspberry PI4 4GB to 8GB

Hi all,

I currently run HA on an PI4 4GB RAM, but also have an 8GB RAM PI4 laying around. Am I able to take the 32GB SD card out of the 4GB and put it in the 8GB and simply update the static IP address to match my old PI in the router and be good to go on everything else?

I know HA probably doesn’t need 8GB but I want to use my 4GB PI for a different purpose so I wanted to give the 8GB one to Home Assistant.

Any advice would be much appreciated. If I have to I’ll do a snapshot but would be faster to just swap SD cards if I could get away with it.

Thanks!

That should work. The only thing I would watch out for is if you have SSL enabled or have setup duckdns or something similar exposing your homeassistant to the outside world. Not sure how that part of the setup would react to the change.

I switched from a RPI4 to an odroid xu4 and pretty much just carried the virtualenv and config dirs. Worked without a hitch, but my SSL and proxy are handled by a different node in the network

What do you mean by this? One does not put an SD card in another SD card. ??

Notwithstanding, I have a 64B SD card in my server box (Pi3B) that runs a number of server apps including HA and the box is not reachable directly via the WAN side.

In Linux (Pi OS) an easy option is to create an image of the running SD card and store that image on a mounted 8GB SD card (in a USB reader dongle) which you can then boot from.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=247568
There are a few theoretical gotchas with imaging such a Pi hot system, but I’ve never experienced them.

Thanks. Yeah I have DuckDns so I’ll have to look into that part.

I mean I have a RPI4 with 4GB of RAM and a PI with 8GB of ram. I’d rather use the one with more RAM with home assistant, so I’d take out my existing 32GB SD card from the 4GB PI and put it into the 8GB PI.

Ah I see. Well in theory you should be able to do that - provided that the CPU and other devices are like for like. Otherwise, it may not work because I believe the Pi does some config work on first boot , and this will of course not be taking place with a straight swap (the OS has already gone through first boot). Easy way - just try. If it is not possible you will soon find out. Connect a HDMI TV and if you get to a login prompt then that would be 80% there, worst case you may need to fix a few things, best case - it all works “as before”.

Sounds good I’ll give it a shot. Thanks

Yeah, the Pi is rather resilient, albeit that is probably down to linux based OS in part. Good luck and come back and let us know how you get on. Other members searcing the forum may come across this thread and the outcome would be useful insight to them :ok_hand:

So finally got around to doing this. Unplugged my ethernet, power, SD card, bluetooth dongle and zwave dongle… plugged my SD card from my home assistant PI4 4GB into the 8GB PI4, reconnected the cables and put the USB sticks in the same location and everything works great inside and outside the network. All I had to do was update my fixed IP in the router to use the new 8GB PI’s MAC address instead of the old. That was easy. Also confirmed that it showed 8GB on the PI and it does.

3 Likes

Great!! that’s helpful to l for everyone to know👌