Upgrading python on Hass.io

Hi,

I have a problem, described in this thread.

Apparently, I need to update my python. Those commands were suggested :

pip3 install https://github.com/rytilahti/python-miio/archive/master.zip
pip3 install construct==2.9.23

But being on Hass.io, pip3 is not possible to run.

I am new to the docker system and am really lost with it. I don’t really undertsand the architecture. Maybe there is some more detailed documentation I could find about it ?

Could somenone point me in the right direction or even explain me how to update the python library ?

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

This notion completely destroys the concept of docker. You don’t do things INSIDE the container like that.

I think what you need is hassbian if you require control like that.

What notion exactly are you referring to ? :slight_smile: The update of a library ?

So if the problem is well that the python library is not in the right version, there is nothing I can do about it (except wait for an update of Hass.io) ?

I thought going with Hass.io would be easier and would cause less compatibility problems but I guess I was wrong if I cannot do anything about this problem…

The idea behind docker containers is that they are immutable. You can move them around and all dependencies are handled within its own stack. If you have a particular python library that is out of date, you can:

A. build out your own docker system, and use home assistant docker image as your base, and script out the updates needed.

B. try to stuff your updated library in a ‘custom_components’ directory inside config directory.

C. Use Hassbian where you can actually control things.

D. Contribute the updated library to hass.io and submit it for a pull request to get it added (or you might be able to get away with just submitting a bug report on it)

1 Like

Ok thanks, I think I grasp it a bit more.

Since I am a big newbie with all that stuff I think this is beyond my competencies :confused: But I will dig into it and let the community know.

I will also report the bug in case someone with the skills is willing to dig into this.

Thanks for the help :wink: