Upgrading to Home Assistant 2024.8 the Alexa Media Player integration stopped working

Also experiencing the same issue. No solution so far. Have tried a clean integration install but fails to setup

1 Like

The AMP integration is broken in 2024.8. There are some attempts to get it resolved, but there is a lot of work needed on it and it is desperately in need of developers.

If you need AMP, it’s recommended to stay on 2024.7.x for the time being until the integration is resolved.

6 Likes

Okay, I guess I am not alone then. We will be waiting for newer updated version. I hope it gets fixed soon as it core component of my Home Assistant. Thanks everyone!

2 Likes

Same here. If I want to rencofigurate alexa media player i get an internal server error. I Rolled back, too. I have a question will the latest HA core update be forced after some time?

No, though obviously if you don’t update you don’t get bug fixes or new features. For example, if some cloud service you use changes their API and HA has to update to keep using it then you’ll no longer be able to use it.

This issue is fixed (pending a fresh release of the Alexa Media Player Integration)…details and a manual fix are in this post 2024.8: Beautiful badges! - #104 by Gav_in

2 Likes

I see there is some workaround, but it seems to complicate for my limited knowledge. I will just wait for new updated release of Alex Media Player version and update. Thank you!

honestly, I am not sure why you should not update the HA Core.

breaking custom_components is for sure not the responsibility of HomeAssistant - especially, if the custom_component isn’t longer maintained by the developer and only live due to “community updates”…

The issues with Amazon Media Player were found by me during the beta - since then I was trying to fix them for days and run into a ‘never ending chain’ of other issues.

This issue in particular is related to an external package used by alexa_media_player - this component is using functions of aiohttp module which has been bumped to a higher version in HomeAssistant - but the called functions are (afaik) depricated by aiohttp for some years now - and haven’t been updated…

why is the blaming ‘always’ in direction of the HA Development, but never in direction of the custom_component authors that are not: testing their work against the newer version (beta cycle)…
It can’t be the responsibility of HomeAssistant to asure the compatibility for all third party integrations that - in some cases are untouched for years…

5 Likes

the work around I found someone post on Redit seemed pretty easy to apply:

workaround:
open /custom_components/alexa_media_player/manifest.json
change the version for alexapy to 1.28.2.

I made that change and it worked for me.

4 Likes

Yep, that worked, cheers.

It didn’t work for me :frowning:

Worked for me as well. Did you restart HA after changing it?

This worked. Is this something that will be auto updated when a new version of the custom integration comes?

Apologize for being YAML ignorant, but where/how do I find this ?

Worked for me this morning 08/08/24.

Thank you so much it worked.

Yes, it worked for me as well. Thank you.

When the Alexa Media Player integration is updated, do we need to do anything then?

The error is fixed but the devices appear as unavailable and do not work
Thanks

Stoke of genius, this worked for me. Cheers mate!

It worked for me too… domain amazon.it