UPnP Error 800 when trying to start playlist on Sonos speaker

Hi, I am trying to create an automation to play a playlist on a Sonos speaker, but I am getting the following error:

Error calling SonosMediaPlayerEntity.play_media on media_player.living_room: UPnP Error 800 received: from 192.168.0.6

I am manually triggering it using the following yaml:

service: media_player.play_media
data:
  media_content_type: playlist
  enqueue: true
  media_content_id: spotify:playlist:21J20PgNUj49fSp2UOfawo
target:
  entity_id: media_player.living_room

I am able to use an automation to control the volume on it, so at least that is working. Any ideas or things to try?

Do you have Spotify set up on your Sonos system, and is that Spotify account a paid account with access to that playlist?

1 Like

Spotify is set up on my Sonos system and it is a paid account. The playlist is a public playlist so there should be no issue there.

For some extra context, I am able to run Text-to-Speech actions over my sonos speakers. I also tried playing an album and it said action ran successfully but nothing started playing.

That error implies some issue between Sonos & Spotify, but it’s not always clear what that could be. You’ve checked the obvious things so far.

Do you have the Spotify integration set up in HA? If so you can use the Media Browser to test playback on the Sonos using a different approach. If it works, compare the payloads against your own when picking the same items in the automation creation UI.

I setup Spotify and tried the Media Browser, but it looks like I am unable to control it at all. I did notice this warning on the Spotify integration page though, so it could be that?

Unsupported Devices: Although Sonos is a Spotify Connect device, it is not supported by the official Spotify API.

It’s a bit confusing and that doesn’t apply here. The Sonos integration handles the Spotify playback, but enabling the Spotify integration allows you to browse media.

Make sure that you’re specifically browsing the Sonos device’s available media. It’s easiest to go to the media_player entity and hit “Browse Media” on its more info popup. Spotify should show up as a box in there.

You’ve confirmed that you can play Spotify media from within the native Sonos app, correct?

I am able to browse media and find the playlist I want to play. However, I got an error about no active playback device. I went back to select a source, and the only option listed there was my phone, no Sonos speakers. It does work to start playing music on my phone though.

You’ve confirmed that you can play Spotify media from within the native Sonos app, correct?

Yep, this works for me

I have the exact same thing, but a year later. For some reason i can’t get this going. App works fine and individual songs too.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

I have the same issue. I added the Emby integration for additional testing. I can play a playlist from Emby and see it on one of the Sonos speakers in the device list but I cannot play it from the same Sonos device. I can also play individual tracks from a Sonos device but not a playlist (m3u).

I also have the same issue… UpNP 804 error when trying to play a spotify playlist from within ‘browse media’ of the sonos media_player entity. Is there still no fix?

I had the same UPNP 804 error and what worked for me is removing Spotify from my Sonos application, and adding it back. Then I had no problem playing a playlist through browsing the Sonos card.

Same error for me. I had multiple Spotify accounts in my Sonos app and one of the accounts was no longer used. Removing that account and reauthorizing my primary account immediately fixed the issue.

I occasionally get UPnP 800 error when trying to play a playlist from my NAS Plex server (nothing at all to do with Spotify). Occasionally it works. Never been able to figure it out.