UPS integration

Is there a way to integrate UPS Powerwalker VI 2000 RLE directly connected to RPI with Hassos via USB?

Possibly with NUT:

This integration is only for NUT is installed on other machine. I cant install NUT directly on hassio I think.

1 Like

@jojoro Was Powerwalker VI 2000 RLE compatible with NUT? I couldn’t find it in the compatibility list on networkupstools.org.

Yes it works :slight_smile:

1 Like

So as to understand. You installed the add-on 1st and then you used the integration?
In the add-on what configuration did you use?

How did you get it to work, did you install a NUT server? Thanks

Additional details on how to integrate certain types of PowerWalker UPSes.

Some of these UPSes while being USB are using a USB2COM port converter and are in fact COM (serial) UPSes.
If you lookup this manufacturer in NUT compatibility list Network UPS Tools - Hardware compatibility list then you may notice that some UPSes should use a “blazer_ser” driver (BLAZER_SER(8)).

Now how to detect if your UPS is USB2COM type and not plain USB?
Step 1 - Install NUT Add-on in your Home Assistant store (obviously)
Step 2 - Add these two lines in NUT Add-on “Configuration” section ( to list the devices and show data in more details):

log_level: debug
list_usb_devices: 'true'

Step 3 - Save changes
Step 4 - In NUT Add-on navigate to “Log” section
Wait and observe (press “REFRESH” button occasionally)
If you happen to observe following line in Log
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1a86:7523 QinHeng Electronics CH340 serial converter
then most likely you do have a USB2COM UPS

What to do then?
Fix your config in following way.
Step 1 - In NUT Add-on navigate to “Configuration” section and edit your config:

devices:
  - config: []
    driver: blazer_ser
    name: myups
    port: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0
mode: netserver
shutdown_host: 'false'
users:
  - actions: []
    instcmds:
      - all
    password: mysecurenutpassword
    username: nut
log_level: debug
list_usb_devices: 'true'

NOTE!:
Port might be different in your case.
Therefore line port: “/dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB_Serial-if00-port0” might be different in your case.
Just use SSH lo login into hassio and run “ls /dev/serial/by-id” there should be either 1 or not that many devices present, just give each of them a try, eventually you’ll find it.

Save settings again and observe Logs, there should be no errors as the result.

Not you can proceed to next stage, navigate to HA configuration>Integrations and add NUT integration using “localhost”, “3493” (or whichever port you assigned) and you credentials.
My example worked with UPS PowerWalker Basic VI 600 STL perfectly.

Hope this info is a bit helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw, is it possible to integrate APC SMT series? (SMT750i, SMT1500i)
The devices are w/o network cards, connected to PC via COM port (PCs are always online).

Hi,

You might want to double check the model or family of models at
https://networkupstools.org/projects.html
If similar models are present - you need to

1. deploy nut server on the PC with ups attached and configure it (Network UPS Tools - Download information)
  2. Make sure that nut configured port and address of that PC are accessible to home assistant
  3. Add nut integration on home assistant via configuration>Integrations

There is a text on that page:

Smart-UPS SMT/SMX/SURTD
Microlink models with RJ45 socket - they *require* AP9620 SmartSlot expansion card and smart cable

Does it mean that I need to install AP9620 in order to integrate UPS with HA?

It seems that this step refers to models with rj45 ( aka lan interface).
If yours is com - then just try installing server in that pc, there is a good chance that it would work.

Got a message during setup procedure regarding “no UPS found”, now need to read docs.
UPS is connected via COM.

I loaded the NUT integration and am trying to use the USB connection to a Raspberry Pi 4. What do I use for host, username and password?

I have successfully connected to my PC running the CyberPower Personal software and can read the unit fine. This is a CyberPower 1500AVRLCD.

If I use the CLI and issue command “ha hardware info”, I see the “CP1500AVRLCDa” device:

I have tried using Devname and Name in the “Host” field, but nothing seems to work.

Hi,

If you are connecting your UPS to Raspberry with HA installed on it then:

• after you install the NUT add-on - be sure to configure it (open add-on and switch to “configuration tab”
    there input in your case
    section “devices”
- config: []
  driver: usbhid-ups
  name: myups
  port: /dev/bus/usb/001/009

mode
netserver

section “users”

- actions: []
  instcmds:
    - all
  password: set-preferred-password
  username: nut-user

Network -

After you save changes - use localhost/network port/username/password in your nut integration

1 Like

This was exactly what I needed! The only exception for me was that I could not configure the NUT Integration with “localhost” but had to use “a0d7b954-nut” per the NUT Add-on Documentation. I am up and running with 21 entities now! Thanks again!

2 Likes

Big thanks for “a0d7b954-nut”!!!

1 Like