Usage of RGB LED on m5stamp

I’m just getting started using ESPHome, and want to turn on the integrated SK6812 RGB LED on an m5stamp c3u. However, I’m struggling to find a compatible platform. With 'fastled_clockless` as shown below, I get “This feature is incompatible with esp-idf”.

light:
  - platform: fastled_clockless
    chipset: SK6812
    pin: 2
    num_leds: 1
    name: "LED"

Alternatively, if I use the rgb platform, I’m not sure what platform to use for the output component.

I’m not 100% sure of the pin either, as documentation for esp32-c3-devkitm-1 suggests gpio8, but m5stack’s site lists gpio2. But I’m getting stumped before that.

Do I need to wait until fastled supports esp-idl or write a custom light?

RGB is definitely not what you want.

I forgot to include that I tried that one too - it says it’s only compatible with Arduino.

As far as pin is concerned, it is not a esp32-c3-devkitm-1 so why use its pin allocations? I dare say m5stack know how they wired the device.

You could try the arduino stack I guess.

It is an esp-c3 - M5Stamp C3U (5pcs) | m5stack-store. I’ve got it working with the esp32-c3-devkitm-1 platform, just not the LED. But I’m trying the arduino stack now - yeah I get “this board does not support arduino framework”.

EDIT: With the following I can at least compile. I’m not sure how much of this is actually needed. Thanks for your help so far @nickrout

esphome:
  name: $name
  platformio_options:
    board_build.mcu: esp32c3
    platform_packages:
      - platformio/framework-arduinoespressif32 @ https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32.git#2.0.2

esp32:
  board: esp32-c3-devkitm-1
  variant: esp32c3
  framework:
    type: arduino
    version: 2.0.2
    platform_version: https://github.com/tasmota/platform-espressif32/releases/download/v2.0.2idf/platform-espressif32-2.0.2.zip

These esp32 variants, it is hard to keep up with what is supported. The platformio site now seems to say the c3 is supported by the esp-idf AND the arduino frameworks. PlatformIO Registry

Thanks for the link, I had not seen that. The m5stamp product line isn’t there though, and it’s RISC-V, which is different to the others. A lot of experimentation in my future I guess. And a lot of learning.

Risc-V but still esp32-c3

esphome:
  name: m5stackc3
  friendly_name: M5stackC3
  platformio_options:
    board_build.flash_mode: dio

esp32:
  variant: ESP32C3
  board: esp32-c3-devkitm-1
  framework:
    type: esp-idf
    version: recommended