USB Boot on Raspberry Pi 4

Sorry, I didn’t notice. Thank you, this is what I need.

1 Like

I have a M.2 SSD in an enclosure for which lsusb is reporting as ID 152d:0578 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JMS567 SATA 6Gb/s bridge and USB3 boot on a Pi4 is excruciatingly slow, whilst boot on USB2 with the same device is quite a lot faster.

There are several suggestions on the internet to add a usb-storage.quirks=152d:0578:u entry to cmdline.txt, where the 152d:0578 is the device ID obtained from lsusb, but this alone didn’t work for me. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3070

The final solution for me was to use a powered USB3 hub together with the quirks entry in cmdline.txt. The powered USB3 hub alone significantly sped up the load speed of the SSD whilst plugged into the Pi4 USB3 port but it was still somewhat slow, but adding the quirks command further significantly sped up the boot time. I still wouldn’t consider it to be lightning fast, with initial access to the Lovelace interface being ~1m:30s and some time after that before everything is running, but that is a vast improvement on previous times.

It looks like the drive was somehow being throttled by the lack of power on the USB3 port, but this didn’t appear to be the case on the USB2 port.

1 Like

Hi All,

I am trying to boot from USB/SSD

• hard drive: Kingston 120GB A400 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD SA400S37
  • USB / SSD cable: StarTech USB3S2SAT3CB SATA to USB Cable USB 3.0 to 2.5” SATA II (ASMedia - ASM1153E)

I followed all of the recommendations for preparing my raspberry pi 4 (updating firmware, boot loader, and boot priority).

I flashed the HA image to the SSD but the RPi just shows a blank screen upon boot.
Not sure what to do next - try a different cable?

Edit: I can flash and boot the raspbian image fine… just the HA OS image is giving me the issue… so not a hardware issue I think.

Did you use Home Assistant OS 5.12 64 bit?

I used the 32bit since I have the 2gb model
Should I use 64?

edit: the 64 bit image boots up fine. thanks!

I have no problem getting a Pi4 to boot Raspbian to a NVMe drive in the USB3 port either using an adapter (like this NVMe Dongle) Or one of these X873 Board

But when I “etch” the HASSio image to the NVMe drive it refuses to boot. Is there something that can be done to get the newer drives to work?

Or am I missing a step somewhere?

Have you updated the Rpi4 bootloader?

Yes, the Pi4 will boot with normal Raspbian on the NVMe drive. But once I put the HASSio image on the same drive it turns into a brick.

Has anyone had any success with the Argon M.2 case and adapter on HASSOS? I have a WD Blue 256Gb SATA SSD in it. I’ve been running fine for days however today it fell over and every time I load the SSD it freezes up and comes up with this in journalctl:

homeassistant kernel: sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] tag#19 uas_zap_pending 0 uas-tag 4 inflight: CMD

I found the device after some googling and lsusb not telling me anything other than the id (urgh):

ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge

EDIT: I enabled the quirks and it’s done it again :frowning: The activity light has gone off, was this due enabling dtparam=sd_poll_once=on I wonder?

The command dtparam = sd_poll_once = on is entered so that Rpi still does not query an SD card that is not present. This will reduce a lot of queries in the log.

Yeah I read that, that’s why I enabled it. The activity light was on pretty much solid without it but off completely with it enabled. I’m sure it worked as normal when I’ve tried usb boot before.

The main problem I’m trying to figure out is what’s going on with the SATA adaptor, as from what I can tell so far, it’s not working correctly. I’m tempted to try it with rasbian to see how it fares. At the moment disk speed is way slower than it should be (quirks?) and it seems it could be a power issue as when it’s connected to the usb3 bus on its own it seems to be ok. I had a Google Coral connected to the other USB3 and it was fine for a week but not now. Weird.

A quick update.
I don’t need quirks.
Speed is OK.
Definitely related to power. And possibly heat of the attached Coral TPU.

I’ve had this same problem with a brand new pi4 and a Samsun T5 ssd. Raspbian on SD and SSD both work fine. With 5.13, it doesn’t seem to work(blank screen, gets an ip, isn’t reachable). 5.3 64 bit did boot, but gave a looping error (didn’t dig into it).

5.12, 64bit, altough I have a 4Gb pi4, works https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/5.12/hassos_rpi4-64-5.12.img.xz

Hello everyone, I wanted to share my experience with you, about a year ago I went from SD to SSD, the peripherals are Asenno 120GB SSD and JMicron adapter, the machine is a 4 GB Raspberry 4, in short I had a lot of problems of instability, continuous blocks, freezing, if I restarted the RPI many times it would not start anymore forcing me to format everything, I ran all the possible guides without results, I was so disheartened that after almost 5 years of HA I wanted to switch to another system. Then one evening by mistake I inverted the USB port of the SSD, instead of in 3.0 I inserted it in the normal one, result? it’s been two months since everything is perfect no blocking I carry out continuous restarts without any problem and the whole system runs very fast and perfectly stable. P.S. the DeconzII key is positioned close without interfering. this is my personal experience.

2 Likes

Before I switched to a NUC I had my Raspi4 running on a SSD.

Because I doesn’t like the SSD solution with an adapter I’ve used an normal USB-SSD. There I realized that it’s very different from product to product.
My first SSD haven’t received enough power while starting. So after each reboot I had to plug out and in that it run.
Then I switched to Samsung T7. This USB SSD works on the USB3 port it worked without any problem.

FYI
I can confirm that a Philips FM24SS020P/00 240GB works flawless on a Pi4B.
It is the boot-disk, so no SDCard.

I have a msata ssd on a board (v850) attached with usb and work great. fully running on ssd without sdcard for months

Thanks you saved my day. :heart_eyes:

I bought an Intenso 3823430 Portable SSD 128GB (do not buy, not recommended for Pi 4) which uses a JMicron chip.

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 152d:0579 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. Portable SSD

The system failed to boot 2 out of 3 times. I encountered strange error messages etc. after hours of searching I found your post. Adding

usb-storage.quirks=152d:0579:u

to /boot/cmdline.txt fixed all my issues.

Thank YOU!

1 Like

Posting my device ID so others can find this in the future.

USB-C 2.5" case ORICO 2588US3-V1-BK-BP announces itself as:

Bus 004 Device 014: ID 0080:a001 Unknown JMS578 based SATA bridge

Adding below to cmdline.txt

usb-storage.quirks=0080:a001:u

solved the problem.

Here is a good german tutorial:
USB-Boot für den Raspberry Pi 4 | kofler.info