USB Boot on Raspberry Pi 4

Again based on screenshot, PI4 resetting USB port-power.
What in use? USB2 or USB3? If USB adapter to SSD is good?

Is on usb 3.0 , and is a usb 32 stick not an ssd , i loaded kodi on the usb and it boots so i have no idea how to mount the network card.

Try following. Connect to USB2 and use 64 bit image HASSOS 5.3 ==> hassos_rpi4-64-5.3.img.gz

3 Likes

i put the usb stick on the usb 2 , the screen doesn’t show anything , is just blank
 shall i wait something ? i expect to see something.

Should come up instantly. Try USB3 and 64 bit image, link above

used your image
 a swiss watch
 boot in 0 sec
can i restore the image of a rpi3 32bit ?

thanks so much!

Restore snapshot, not image

Yes i meant the snapshot :slight_smile: thanks so much!

Hi Vlad , unfortunately , seems not working , the image restore give me an error :slight_smile:
TypeError: NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource.

then all stop , i cannot even create a new account.

i tried this one , and it doesn’t even boot
hassos_rpi4-5.3.img.gz

Hi Umberto,

Are you using same IP Address for old “PI3” and new “PI4” installations?
Hardwired or Wi-Fi?

i removed the mini hdmi cable , reinstalled everything , restored the img , now seems all good.
i am actually running 2 pi 3 & 4 to play with a test environment , but seems all goog now .

thanks for your help

Hi, please may I ask you what is the best todayÂŽs (OctoberĂș procedure to set raspberry4 8GB to run from USB?
Still the method describer by Andreas Spies? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVhYvvrGhMU
or is there some progress by hassIO itself?
Thanks

And how about Pi4 8GB which requires 64bit. Are there some major issues?

Working fine one my SSD on USB3.

Thanks!!!

Hy,
for JMicron JMS583 bridge you only have to use USB 2.0 but it’s slow

I use X850 V3.0 mSATA SSD boards (USB 3.0) bought at Amazon

How to proceed with this, which command to type in. I do not know which IP address has HomeAssistant, and can not enter the browser with homeassistant.local: 8123 or homeassistant: 8123. How to find the IP address? this is Raspberry Pi 4 / 2Gb firmware hassos_rpi-64 
 img.gz and is on 120Gb SSD SanDisk

have you tried entering “ip a” without the quotes?

Fixed.
After installation, I connected RPi4-RJ45 to router to be able to configure HAssistant with ADDON and now works as it should, hope so now!

@Vlad Ok so you saved my sanity, I noticed the error once I saw your link. You linked version 5.3 which I’m assuming enables booting from USB. however, the damn HomeAssistant site is still linking an old version of HassOS:

https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation - This page is linking 4.16 - WHICH DOES NOT HAVE USB BOOTING

Once I installed 5.3 to my SSD it booted up fine, I had to log in and comment because I’ve spent hours trying to figure this out lol. Even did the quirks thing with my SSD which didn’t help.

Much thanks @Vlad