Usb dongle device failed after upgrade to 2022.10.3 and OS 9.2 Pls Help!

All my zigbee(ZHA) and zwave(Zwave js to mqtt) are not working
It’s look like it cannot found the cordinator

Try everything

  • reboot
  • unplugged the dongle
  • check if HA see the device
  • restore to previous version

notthing work

here are log from ZHA

Logger: homeassistant.components.zha.core.gateway
Source: components/zha/core/
Integration: Zigbee Home Automation (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 2:22:42 PM (12 occurrences)
Last logged: 2:42:37 PM
Couldn’t start EZSP = Silicon Labs EmberZNet protocol: Elelabs, HUSBZB-1, Telegesis coordinator (attempt 1 of 3)
Couldn’t start EZSP = Silicon Labs EmberZNet protocol: Elelabs, HUSBZB-1, Telegesis coordinator (attempt 2 of 3)
Couldn’t start EZSP = Silicon Labs EmberZNet protocol: Elelabs, HUSBZB-1, Telegesis coordinator (attempt 3 of 3)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/asyncio/”, line 456, in wait_for
return fut.result()
The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zha/core/”, line 172, in async_initialize
self.application_controller = await
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/”, line 144, in new
await app.startup(auto_form=auto_form)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy/”, line 124, in startup
await self.connect()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/zigbee/”, line 124, in connect
self._ezsp = await bellows.ezsp.EZSP.initialize(self.config)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/”, line 106, in initialize
await ezsp._startup_reset()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/”, line 97, in _startup_reset
await self.reset()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/ezsp/”, line 126, in reset
await self._gw.reset()
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/bellows/”, line 244, in reset
return await asyncio.wait_for(self._reset_future, timeout=RESET_TIMEOUT)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.10/asyncio/”, line 458, in wait_for
raise exceptions.TimeoutError() from exc

Does your config still match the ports? I use the by-id port because it doesn’t change even if the OS assigns a different virtual port to the device, e.g:

port: >-

if you go to the ZWave UI, does that addin still see the network? i recently have more ’ driver could not load’ or similar which seems the usb connection isnt restored. You running os 9.2 on hardware or on VM?

How to check the config?

I run it on VM

reconfigure server

wait,… thats not the usb path… sorry

in JS UI

Web UI says

Driver: Failed to initialize the driver: ZWaveError:

yes… that i have too a little more then i want. It seems the VM loses communication with host OS USB serial. I have to restart the VM completely to get around it. ONce i had to restart host even (but that could probably prevented if i had the hardware at hand instead of far remote)

and do check the serial port config

Yes the serial port is wrong now I changed it back and Integration seems to work now

nice… both devices?

Yes both . It’s turn out that zwave use zigbee dongle port

Thanks a lot

Use the by-id port and it won’t matter if the virtual port changes.

You can see the by-id port name in your hardware info.

1 Like

If you are using Home Assistant in a virtual machine and/or in a Docker/Podman container then know that failed setups are usually due to ZHA/zigpy not being able to connect via the serial connection to the Zigbee Coordinator, which is normally likely due to either failed USB pass-through to VM or faulty Docker/Podman container device mapping, meaning user setup error in making sure the underlying environment pass along the USB and/or serial port to Home Assistant or deCONZ, see example →

I had the same issue and I fix it by deleting the ZHA integration, then selecting the same port and using the backup of the day before (October 11th in my case). Then I had all my devices working. Just the friendly names were not saved, thus I had to set again the names in some devices.
Good luck!