USB Over IP (For Zwave Stick)

Hey there,

I have Home Assistant running on a Proxmox cluster with three nodes. If one of the nodes fail, it will be moved to another node. The problem is that the USB stick is physically only on a single node.

Is there a good USB Over IP solution that would allow me to connect this USB stick to that and have Zwave JS UI connect to the device over the network? That way when home assistant fails over to another node, there won’t be any interruption to any of the Zwave devices.

There are some on Amazon, but I was hoping someone had done this and knows if it works well (or not). Thank you!

I haven’t tried these, but this is my understanding of some of the options.

What some people do is put zwavejsui on a raspberry PI and connect to it via the LAN.

So this would be:
Raspberry PI
Ubuntu
Docker
Zwavejsui docker

There is also a product from homeseer. I know they were engaging in this message board and now advertise this as working with HA.

The other solution is to use something called ser2net on the computer with the stick and talking to this is supported by zwavejs. Which is what I think homeseer is doing. But at that point just running zwavejsui here may be simpler.

I’m running Z-wave on a HomeSeer Z-Net (RPi 3b with ser2net as mentioned above). I added RFXCom and my Conbee II to the ser2net config and now all 3 are working solid in this configuration. If necessary I could point my development instance to this hardware in the event the production server fails.

If I expected to have 2 or more Z-wave networks (imagine the horror) I’d migrate Z-Wave-JS UI to the RPi, but the ser2net configuration is used by hundreds if not thousands of HomeSeer users without issue. Much easier to get running quickly.

1 Like

Are you using the built in zwave in their device or using a USB stick? Trying to understand the migration path from a USB stick to this device.

If that question was directed at me, HomeSeer uses a PI HAT Z-wave device (EZZee) in their older 500 series Z-nets, but it presents itself similarly as the USB devices as far as ser2net configuration goes.

Others on the HomeSeer forum have rolled their own with a RPi and USB z-wave device without issue.

1 Like

I also have HAos in a proxmox cluster and trying to get an Bluetooth dongle available to HA from a pi with ser2net…No luck so far…

This is my exact scenario, except I’m using a z-wave USB stick. I have HA running on a node that is in a three node cluster but it has a wave stick attached on a USB port. This means that the HA VM cannot migrate to other nodes due to the hardware connection.

So I’m wanting to separate z-wave out into a device on the network so that HA can freely migrate to different nodes in the cluster.

I am using a z-wave USB stick attached to the computer where HA is running. It is on a Proxmox node in a cluster and I cannot migrate HA to another node because of this hardware connection. I’m wanting to separate the wave stick somehow from the node so that HA can freely migrate to other nodes. Just not sure what is available that would let me do this.

FYI I had some luck using an esp32 with a UART zwave controller from Zooz. I think there’s a post on here also using a PoE board instead of WiFi.

Edited to add: to continue using the USB stick, you could try a esp32 dev board with usb UART. They’re usb-c so you’d need an adapter but might be worth a try.

HomeSeer sells the Z-Net Z-wave controller that resolves this issue by making the Z-wave controller a network entity. You can do the same thing yourself with a Raspberry Pi and ser2net (which is exactly what HomeSeer does). I’m sure they have sold hundreds if not thousands of these devices with satisfied customers. I have 2 and have no complaints. I also have Home Assistant on a Proxmox cluster and failover has worked successfully multiple times.

Oh wow, thank you so much for the information. I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t know how to get there. I’m going to look it up and go that route!

1 Like

Hi,

i choose to have a separate pi with an antenna sending the data over to mqtt, works perfectly for me.