Use ESPHome with e-ink Displays to blend in with your home decor!

Thank you for your appreciation! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I use flat USB cables and hide it under paper tape that matches the color and texture of the drywall.

1 Like

Hello, are you okey with sharing your code for that frame. I live in sweden and liked your display.
VƤnliga hƤlsningar Fredric

1 Like

Sure! Here you go! HƤr kommer kod!

3 Likes

Is there any tool to like preview what to display and where? Itā€™s ok to guess and update to see how it did go but would be neat to preview on the computer before updating the screen :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

How feasible would it be to create something like this that ran entirely off batteries?

I could do with a few of them around the house, however weā€™ve already renovated all the rooms and so Iā€™ve got nowhere to plug them in, and whilst the picture frames look amazing, I donā€™t want to spoil that look by having cables trailing down the walls etc.

Obviously if theyā€™re battery powered then theyā€™ll want charging at some point, but Iā€™m thinking that as itā€™s an e-Ink screen I might be able to get away with only charging it once a week (or maybe even less frequently!)

Hi,
I cannot seem to find " HA-GTFS-RT" on the HACS respository. is it on different repository?

Itā€™s probably possible if you donā€™t need to refresh the screen often. Iā€™m not sure how power management on ESPHome works (e.g. to get the ESP chip to turn on by itself), so Iā€™ll need to look it up.

1 Like

In HACS under Integrations, there is a menu item (under the ā€œā€¦ā€ at the top right) that allows you to add Custom Repositories. Add https://github.com/mark1foley/ha-gtfs-rt-v2 as an Integration in that dialog.

2 Likes

Hi Madelena.
I bought this display: Waveshare 7.5 inch E-Ink E-Paper Display - WS-13504

It coms with a hat, but i think it might be the wrong hat. Should i return this or can i somehow get this to work with another EPS32?

Hi Gert. Nice display. Is it possible that you would share your code? Best Sascha

Thanks Sascha,

You can find the code here:

3 Likes

Thanks Gert :wink:

Really nice
I see a lot of nice looking e-paper displays. But how does it look when the screen is refreshing?
My display blinks a couple of times when refreshing. It is so annoying that I donā€™t want to use it as planned :frowning:

Here the same. Thats why I only refresh every half hour. Donā€™t know why it is not updating changes only like I should expect.

1 Like

This is why I placed the display on a wall in my apartment that I donā€™t stare at often. You probably donā€™t want it to be in front of you next to your computer monitor, for example.

1 Like

I feel like I must be missing something simple, but I canā€™t get my screen to update beyond the ā€œWaiting for dataā€¦ā€ prompt.

In the ESP logs for the online device, I just get the ā€œNo sensors updated - skipping display refresh.ā€ output. Iā€™ve found that the initial_data_received variable remains false, but even if I force a screen update when the "No sensors updatedā€™ message appears (or even every minute), the screen updates but has no weather information - just null/blank values. (iā€™ve left out the transit info for the moment).

In Home Assistant, Iā€™ve used some dashboard cards to verify that the weatherman_data template sensor has the expected weather data populated. It just doesnā€™t seem to be getting pushed to my ESP device.

What can I check to make sure the data is successfully passed to ESP?

How do you reset your recorded display refresh sensor?
I made a similar one, but it want it to be set to 0 one time a day, or count the number of refreshes/h.

Thanks for a inspiring project.

Regards
Gustav

Prompt ESP32 always works or goes to sleep with epapers. I just want to use without cable with independent battery

Can share configuration and template ?

wellā€¦ answered my own question, and I was missing something simple.

this was my first time using ESPHome, and didnā€™t realize after adding the device in the ESPHome section, I also had to go to the Integrations dashboard and add it there as wellā€¦

1 Like