Use Ikea Trådfri Dimmer in Home Assistant?

oh to bad :frowning:
can you tell me what files i need to copy over to the desktop, to see the config if i plug the conbee stick in my laptop?
or is this described somewhere

I’ve never done it. All deconz files probably

I have an Tradfri Dimmer (the one without any buttons) and was able to pair it with an Elelabs USB Adapter, but the dimmer shows up as binary_sensor in Home Assistant and it does not change its state, when I turn the dimmer. Has anyone had success with a Tradfri Dimmer? My goal ist to use it to change the volume of a chrome cast audio group.

It works with deconz, you get events and can create automations based on those events. I know of people that use the remote just like you ask

You got this automation working?

I keep wondering what’s wrong with mine…

- alias: 'Change dimmer value from IKEA dimmer for Kates room lights using the ikea dimmer'
  initial_state: 'on'
  trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: deconz_event
    event_data:
      id: katestradfridimmer
  action:
    service: input_number.set_value
    data_template:
      entity_id: >
        {% elif (trigger.event.data.event|int > 2000) %}
          {{ 'input_number.dimmer_kates_room' }}
        {% endif %}
      value: >
        {% if (trigger.event.data.event|int == 2002) %}
          {{ [(float(states.input_number.dimmer_kates_room.state) + 20), 255]|min }}
        {% elif (trigger.event.data.event|int == 3002) %}
          {{ [(float(states.input_number.dimmer_kates_room.state) - 20), 0]|max }}
        {% endif %} \

In my case this worked fine…
Hass.io 0.84.6
Ikea remote control
Ikea float panel
Usb conbee on usb port Pi
Installed plugin deConz from https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-addons/tree/master/deconz
Changed null to “/dev/ttyUSB0”
Open port 8080 on rooter (duckdns)
Open Web ui and under gateway/advanced pressed button Auth apps
In HA config new integration deCONZ press submit
in app Phoscon-GW press add new switch, remote must be very close 2 cm (close like NFC) to usb conbee
Go back to main page add light and turn on float panel 4 times.
Restart Home assistant and you can control your IKEA float from here as well form local remote.
Thanks guys

Are you sure it’s NFC to link first time??

It is only Zigbee, no nfc. And it can be in good proximity of any router node in the mesh to pair.

Hi! How well does the dimmer behave for you? If I continuously slowly spin the dimmer it only provides an event each 360 degrees turn. While if I stop a little and start turning it again it gives an event immediately.

I don’t like it at all, doesn’t work as you’d expect

Too bad, I really liked the idea of having a traditional dimmer as an option… :frowning:

Yes, I was hyped for it as well… Until I used it

But is it the home assistant / deconz implementation that is under performing or is it the actual hardware button that isn’t performing?

I can’t say for sure.

For me it works fine when pairing it directly to a bulb. But with the Trådfri Gateway it doesn’t work very well. I don’t have Deconz but EZSB. This also doesn’t work yet, but as of 0.90.0 direct binding should be supported. Maybe this will finally work. But I didn’t have the time to try it yet.

It works with zigbee2mqtt. Sends a payload of {“brightness”:(0-255)} continuously varying as you rotate the dimmer.
The dimming is not super smooth for a light (compared to direct pairing with bulbs(s) but its OK.
Of course you can map brightness to other things in HA, too.

Also it supports now:

• rotate_left
  • rotate_right
  • rotate_stop (published after rotate_left or rotate_right )
  • rotate_left_quick
  • rotate_right_quick

Hijinx, I’ve gotten both the dimmer and bulb into HA using Zigbee2MQTT no problem. But how do I get the dimmer to operate the bulb once in HA? Do i pair them as per the IKEA instructions? Or is there something else I need to do inside HA so that the dimmer controls the bulb.

Thanks.

Edit: Scratch the above, got the dimmer and the bulb paired. However, I’m finding the state of the bulb does not reflect correctly in HA. So if I dim the bulb with the wireless dimmer, HA will still say it is at max brightness. Is this happening for you too?

I guess this is a limitation of ikea (and maybe other makes of) bulbs - that they dont report back to the hub if a grouped controller changes their brightness.

BTW if you wanted to go with automation to link your dimmer to a bulb it would be something like this:

- alias: Dimmer
    trigger:
    - entity_id: sensor.dimmer_rotary_encoder
      platform: state
    action:
      service: light.turn_on
      entity_id: light.ikea_light
      data_template:
        brightness: '{{states.sensor.dimmer.state}}'
1 Like

I asked over at the Zigbee2MQTT github on this and there is actually a way without too much hassle.

Just put in:

advanced:
  report: true

into the Zigbee2MQTT customize.yaml, restart the service and bang, the bulb will report to HA through Zigbee2MQTT its state when you change it with the dimmer.

1 Like

This worked great with Home Assistant 0.106.6 (Docker or legacy Hass.io). Now the Tradfri dimmer state is reflected in the Lovelace UI.