Use Ikea Trådfri Dimmer in Home Assistant?

Yes but if he gets it working it is not hard to adapt for x86

I’m currently working on stable deCONZ Docker images for both ARM and x86_64 though both are a little ways off yet (and before release I need to get my Conbee and RaspBee hardware to test them :slight_smile: ). The idea is that they will be installable alongside Home Assistant via Docker on both normal hardware and on Raspberry Pi 3, and also I will be releasing a deCONZ addon for Hassio as the final step of that work. On my roadmap is also a deCONZ panel for Home Assistant so that you can add lights etc to deCONZ without leaving the HASS GUI.

I have a HUSBZB-1 stick that I’m currently using on my production machine for Zwave. As far as I know the frequency won’t work for Zwave in Europe though, so consider that before buying. I have tried the zha component with the stick also and while it works OK, there is still a lot of work to be done to support more components. In particular with zha you have to be very selective with which lights and accessories you buy and I would advise checking the forum threads to see what people have tested and what works.

I like the idea of the Conbee and Raspbee hardware with deCONZ because you have the support of a company whose interest it is to make their software work with as broad a range of components as possible and make it work stably in order to sell their hardware. While zha (and bellows, the python library that supports it) is very well done, it is ultimately an open source project driven by one or two people, which isnt necessarily worse but is something to consider when the hardware and support in hass depends on the efforts of those individuals.

1 Like

Very nice to hear that! I think I will purchase a Conbee then. Where can I follow your work?
Would be great to get updates on the progress, because I won’t be doing this before the docker image is available, the ease of use with Docker beats everything, and together with Watchtower, updates is a breeze!

In the coming weeks I will be setting up a GitHub repo for the Docker image once I think it is ready to publicly test and will push a built image to Docker Hub for ease of deployment.

@Robban @joq3

Has anyone confirmed that the Ikea wireless dimmer or the remote control work with the ZHA component? Just because Home Assistant has ZHA doesn’t mean all Zigbee devices will work with it. I’d love to get confirmation.

I can only verify that it works with deconz. I don’t have hardware for zha component.

I have added my Tradrfri Wireless Dimmer in DeConz, as per the howto instructions.

It shows up as a “group” named “Tradfri Wireless Dimmer 3” in DeConz, and as light.tradfri_wireless_dimmer_3 in HomeAssistant.

It has a brightness attribute in HA but it never changes. The only thing changing in HA is the state, and it only has the values on or off. Not very useful if I want to control things with automation in HA.

Adding my lights in the group inside DeConz works fine, but it doesn’t give me the control I’d like to have inside HA. Also I would have guessed that it would show up as a sensor in HA and not as a light.

Are there other ways to add the dimmer in DeConz that will make it show up as a sensor?

I haven’t started moving my PIR sensors from my Trådfri gateway to DeConz yet. Will they also show up as lights? Will the time set on the back side of the PIR sensor keep the sensor as on for the time period set on the hardware dial on the sensor, or will it fire a state on event everytime something moves in the room?

Are there other ways to integrate ConBee to HA other than DeConz? I only started playing around with the ConBee and DeConz yesterday -> totally green. :wink:

1 Like

It generates events when you press buttons that you can use in automations, example,
toggle a sonoff when pressing on/off button:

- action:
  - data:
      entity_id: switch.hallbel
    service: switch.toggle
  alias: remote hallbel
  condition: []
  id: '1517861781397'
  trigger:
  - event_data:
      event: 1002
      id: tradfri1
    event_type: deconz_event
    platform: event

Hmm, the Wireless Dimmer I have has no button. It is just rotatable… http://www.ikea.com/se/sv/catalog/products/00347831/

It just goes, on or off in HA. So as soon as the lamp is lit on its lowest brightness the Dimmer goes to state on, stays on whatever brightness is set (reasonable), and the goes to state off when the lamps birghtness reashes zero.

It seem that it is the lamps brightness that sets the state for the dimmer.

Inside HA I have both the lamp as in this case light.bedroom_window_lamp and the dimmer as light.tradfri_wireless_dimmer_3.

The light.bedroom_window_lamp brightness attribute updates properly. The dimmer also has a brightness attribute, but it never changes. So I can’t use the dimmer to control other things if I’d like to.

Oh, sorry. I assumed it was the remote with dimming buttons.

All remotes are represented by an event in HASS. Check the documentation for examples.

Motion sensors and other detectors are represented as either binary sensors or ordinary sensors

Thanks!

Do you possibly have any references to the documentation that you are referring to? I have so far only been able to see my dimmer showing up as a light component.

The deconz component https://home-assistant.io/components/deconz/#remote-control-devices

A little follow up here, it seems the remote directly address an end device (or several) and cannot address a bridge. And therefore it doesn’t seems possible to use the dimmer function with a bridge.

Except your bridge can pretend being a lamp…

For those understanding French, there is an article explaining that from the creator of the Zigate:

Mais alors ? comment fonctionne ces télécommandes et pourquoi ne sont-elles pas interprétées par la ZiGate ?
La première chose à remarquer est que l’action, sur le bouton de la télécommande, est envoyée à un groupe et non pas à un endpoint (device).

A quick translation:

But then ? how do these remote work and why are they not interpreted by the ZiGate?
The first thing to notice is that the signal, when pressing the button of the remote control, is sent to a group and not to an endpoint (device).

1 Like

The Tradfri dimmer does not trigger any deconz_event. At least not in my logs, did you check yours?

I’ve moved to another machine and haven’t gotten it up and running yet

Ok keep me posted please :slight_smile:

I’m using @marthocoo deCONZ addon for Hass.io, found here hassio-addons/deconz at master · marthoc/hassio-addons · GitHub

I can add Ikea trådfri lights no problem and they show up and I can control them in HA. I also added the Ikea wireless dimmer to deconz (show up as a switch/group) and i added lights to the “group”. The dimmer also show up in HA as a light and i can control it. But turning the physical dimmer switch has no effect on the lamps. When i turn the dimmer i get the below result in the deCONZ addon log. Any idea how tho get the physical dimmer switch to work?

14:38:21:604 no button handler for: TRADFRI wireless dimmer cl: 0x0001 cmd: 0x0A pl[0]: 021
14:38:21:604 ZCL attribute report 0x000B57FFFE2EB9C2 for cluster 0x0001, ep 0x01
14:38:21:677 button 2002 Move up (with on/off)
14:38:21:681 discard sensor state push for state/lastupdated (already pushed)
14:38:21:697 button 2002 Move up (with on/off)
14:38:21:701 discard sensor state push for state/lastupdated (already pushed)
14:38:21:822 no button handler for: TRADFRI wireless dimmer cl: 0x0008 cmd: 0x07 pl[0]: 000
14:38:21:904 no button handler for: TRADFRI wireless dimmer cl: 0x0008 cmd: 0x07 pl[0]: 000

Did you also physically pair the dimmer with the bulb afterwards?