Use Ring Camera Image from Hassio Home on Dashboard

It appears that the image URL link from the Ring Camera uses a DATA URL (base64) on the Hassio Home Page rather than an typical image url. Is there a way to display that image in an HA Dashboard? It doesn’t appear you can use a typical URL source for the image.

Additionally, has anyone figured out a way to keep the access token updated / cached from when the image refreshes on Hassio home screen? I see a cache option from the media player images URL which works, but I loose the image in the HA Dashboard once the capture changes.

the camera widget in HA Dashboard uses what the homeassistant API provides.
i dont know if they provide something else for the ring camera, but you can try the “normal” url provided in the docs.

keeping the token up to date is a big problem where i have seen people struggle with it. some cams also worked when the token was just left out.

when the next version from AD is released we will start working on a better camera widget.

(you also can try if it works with a link in the iframe widget)

To add to what Rene said above, I just bought a Ring Stick Up so it’s a fair bet that when we work on the camera widget the Ring will work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @ReneTode and @aimc. Thats great to hear. Yeah i used the camera widget as shown below.
Ring_Front:
widget_type: camera
entity_picture: http://hassio.local:8123/api/camera_proxy/camera.front?token=342f0REDACTED
refresh: 10
and the image renders but as mentioned once the token changes it loses the image. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll wait for thw update =) Good luck

1 Like

hi, did you find a work around for this issue of the token.

I did not no. But this post was before the big Lovelace release and I’ve customized my Lovelace so much I like it better than HAdashnoard so I stopped using HA