Use state value for below condition in automation

Hi guys, I’m new to the forum, I was really hoping someone could help me with a condition in an automation… I’ve created an input_number slider to adjust a temperature setpoint. Now I’m trying to use that entity state (which is a temperature I wish to compare) in an automation. But under numeric_state, I can only input the value above or below I wish to trigger an action. I would really like to be able to use the slider value to be the condition below which value the automation should run

Do you mean you have another entity that represents the current temperature (in my example below I call it sensor.cur_temp), and you want to trigger an automation if that entity goes below your input_number entity? If so, then you can use a template trigger. Something like this:

automation:
  - alias: Temp drops below threshold
    trigger:
      platform: template
      value_template: >
        {{ states('sensor.cur_temp')|float < states('input_number.low_threshold')|float }}
    actions:

You can find more info here:

Hi, thank you for the reply. I managed to fix it a while back. Solution was very similar to your suggestion:

- id: '1529959612041'
  alias: Nursery Min Temperature
  trigger:
  - platform: template
    value_template: '{{ (states.sensor.nursery_temperature.state | float) <= ((states.input_number.target_nursery_temp.state
      | float) - 0.1) }}'
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: switch.nursery_heater_switch
    service: switch.turn_on