Use trigger.offset

Hi everybody, I would like to retrieve the defined value offset in trigger and use it as a transition value in action. Here is what I have defined in my automation

trigger:
  - platform: sun
    event: sunset
    offset: '-00:15:00'
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: group.persons
    state: 'home'
  action:
  - service: scene.turn_on
    entity_id: scene.lecture_salon
    data_template:       
      #transition: 900
      transition: "{{ trigger.offset.total_seconds() }}"

when the trigger is triggered, I think the value is at 0 and not at the set value, how to do?

The offset is not templateable or variable so just use the same numeric value for your transition.

The documentation indicates that trigger.offset is accessible to a template.

Sun Trigger

It’s a timedelta object and total_seconds() is the correct method. Perhaps it produces a float and transition only accepts integer? Try converting the result to integer with the int filter.

But what’s the point?

This isn’t going to change:

offset: '-00:15:00'

Convenience. If the user later chooses to change the offset value, there’s no need to modify anything in the template, because it refers to trigger.offset.

I was wrong about float/integer. Transition accepts a float value. You could try re-arranging it like this but I doubt it’s the cause of the problem:

- service: scene.turn_on
    data_template: 
      entity_id: scene.lecture_salon
      transition: "{{ trigger.offset.total_seconds() }}"

Thanks for your help guy’s, placing entity_id after data_template doesn’t change anything. In fact, the value obtained is a negative value, it should be possible to indicate that it is a positive value. I guess a Python function must exist for that.

abs() returns the absolute value (unsigned), you can use it as a filter:

transition: "{{ trigger.offset.total_seconds()|abs }}"

Perfect, with filter int !

transition: "{{ trigger.offset.total_seconds()|abs|int }}"