Useful new MQTT explorer utility

Thanks!

I just tested the same scenario using MQTT.fx and it works as you described: freshly received retained messages are not understood to be retained. It’s only available upon subscribing to the topic.

That’s interesting. What else does the broker not share with a client after it has already connected and subscribed? For example, if a message is published with a different level of QOS, will the new level be available to MQTT Explorer? Or is like retain and only available upon subscribing to the topic?

I believe the thought is that a client can distinguish live events from possibly old and outdated events.
Retained topics might for instance no longer be relevant, and therefore it is useful to make the distinction.

Version 0.2.6 is out

Get it on https://mqtt-explorer.com/

It has been too long since the last release.
Since then over 8000 lines of code have changed, a lot of things have improved.

• Add a pause function
  • Add light / dark themes
  • Add localized date formatting
  • Allow pinning self-signed-certificates
  • Allow copying values from the message history
  • Buffer changes while in pause mode
  • Improve layout
  • Improve numeric plot layout and smooth curves
  • Improve scroll behavior message history
  • Improve performance and memory footprint by ~30%
  • Improve text selection behavior (Ctrl+A) for value preview and history
  • Immediately apply changed settings
  • Fix memory leak on search and disconnect
  • Deactivate auto-update for Windows portable releases.
  • Fix OSX code-signing and auto-update
  • complete changelog

1 Like

Awesome app. So damn useful.

1 Like

This has been my savior with zigbee2mqtt when deleting devices. Also deleting retained messages with ease!

I really do not like the Windows start menu- where is the executable so that I can just put a shortcut on my desktop?

It is truly amazing how much positive feedback I get for this app, thanks to all of you :+1:.

Version 0.3.5 is out

Most notable features:

• Plotting values from JSON payloads
  • A third resizable panel for plots
  • Keyboard support (beta feature: navigating topics with arrow keys, delete topics with Delete / Backspace key

Changelog

• Add keyboard support
    • Navigate with arrow keys and tab return and escape
    • Delete topic topics with the delete key
  • Add time range options to chart panel
  • Add “Clear Data” option to charts
  • Add support for client certificates
  • Add support for SNI (encryption-related)
  • Make connection profile list scrollable
  • Improve the browsability of previous messages
  • various small fixes

0.3.1 - 0.3.4

• Ubuntu bugfix release
  • Add wayland support (for snap builds)
  • Ubuntu performance fix

• Add functionality to plot JSON data
  • Add chart panel, containing multiple plots (bottom panel)
  • Chart panel and settings will be restored on restart
  • Charts can be paused
  • Panels can be hidden/overlap others completely
  • Plot range can be customized
  • Plot interpolation can be customized
  • Migrated public broker from iot.eclipse.org to mqtt.eclipse.org
  • Fix unrounded time intervals in the message history
  • Fix weird plot curve interpolations

Finally: @stevemann I am not entirely certain where the Microsoft Store puts its applications, but I do not believe you’ll find a simple .exe (rather an .appx). You should probably use the installer or portable version from mqtt-explorer.com, the installer will give you a link on your desktop and installs the app in the default “program files” directory.

3 Likes

Great App. Thanks Thomas.

1 Like

I love this app! Silly question but can this be run as a Hass.io add-on instead of it being a separate app? I don’t always use the same computer to access my instance and would be nice to avoid the faff of opening another app. For those who access their instances remotely it would be nice to be able to use MQTT Explorer remotely as well.

4 Likes

Any chance this could be ported to iOS or Android?

Another stupid question: How do I use this addon in home assistant?

1 Like

MQTT Explorer is not an add-on, it is a separate program that runs on windows, osx (and I think Linux too)

How do I use it with home assistant?

MQTT Explorer is an MQTT client, just like Home Assistant is an MQTT client, but it presents MQTT topics, and their messages, in a detailed and efficient manner (using a tree-view) thereby making it a very useful tool for debugging MQTT problems. It serves as an independent means of examining what’s happening on your MQTT Broker.

For more information, review its web-site: http://mqtt-explorer.com/

So, how do I connect it with homeassistant? Can zwave2mqtt handle 2 mqtt ip adresses? Or?

You configure MQTT Explorer to connect to your MQTT broker - it’s a client.

exactly my question… where and how do I do this in home assistant?

You don’t do it in home assistant. It’s a seperate stand alone program like word or excel.

0.109.x of Home Assistant shows similar information now but MQTT Explorer is great for fixing stuff like retained messages

It’s not done in Home Assistant. Typically, you wouldn’t even install it on the same machine hosting Home Assistant.

It’s an entirely separate program you install and run on your ‘daily driver’ computer (be it Windows, Mac, or Linux).

EDIT
Ninja’d by David.

1 Like

The nature of these questions suggest to me that you do not understand the fundamentals of MQTT. I recommend you follow this excellent tutorial series (it’s what I used to learn about MQTT):