Useful new MQTT explorer utility

Thanks all…? An answer could have been “connect it to your broker, it can receive all messages”?

< 0.109.x of Home Assistant shows similar information now >

Where?

and it was…

Also note 123’s reply above.

Then tap MQTT info

That’s precisely what “MQTT client” means. Plus it does far more than just “receive messages”.

If the term “client” is unfamiliar to you, then you will have a difficult time understanding MQTT’s terminology such as broker, client, publishing, subscribing, topic, payload, QOS, retained messages, last will and testament, etc.

That’s why I suggested you review HiveMQ’s tutorial, otherwise it will only get more confusing from here on.

Thank you, found it. No very obvious though :blush:

Sometimes you need to hunt stuff down eh…

What would be your suggestion to make it obvious.

1. Make it a plugin (add on)
  2. Make it visible in the integration (mqtt)

? Yours ?

That was not the context for my question. David explained where similar information can be found in 0.109. You asked where, he showed you, and then you said it wasn’t very obvious. That’s the context for my question, where would you make 0.109’s “MQTT Info” more obvious.

What do you want? To make a point? Number 2 is obvious though? In the mqtt integration.

Information about the integration is how many devices and entities it represents and that’s consistent for all integrations.

‘MQTT Info’ isn’t information about the integration itself but about its devices/entities. That’s why it’s not exposed at the ‘top level’. Select a device, click ‘MQTT Info’, and it reveals how that device’s entities are defined (their discovery data) and their state topics.

The same information is revealed by MQTT Explorer but without any organizational context. By that I mean that MQTT Explorer doesn’t know which topics are related and represent a specific Home Assistant entity.

@thomasnordquist fantastic tool. Do you plan to have an html based interface ? It would be really nice to embed it in Home Assistant

1 Like

FWIW, same question was asked in its GitHub repo last February (but no reply):

html based interface without webserver is impossible. So he would need to build a webserver inside mqtt explorer, and it would still need to run somewhere local.