User Test: Configuration menu

At the end of last year, we created one Configuration menu by merging Supervisor. In a next iteration, we want to organize our menu by create logical grouping and combining duplicated features. We are conducting this test to see if we are on the right track.

• Anyone can join
  • Due to some limitations, it only works on desktop
  • This test is open for 10 days
  • Results and conclusions are shared in this topic
  • This topic will be unlocked after sharing the results

Hint: This design may not be developed or developed differently.

Yes, I want to join this 10 minutes test!

3 Likes

Hi! As a full-time UX designer for Nabu Casa, I’m happy to show you the results of our first user test. On January 10th we started an user test for our configuration menu.

Highlights

• 915 respondents took part in this test and gave 407 comments.
  • Most people were neutral about the overall design. There are more people who liked it than didn’t.
  • We must continue to focus on organizing our menu by creating logical groups and combining duplicate functions. With this design and some tweaks we make more people happy.
  • In general, there is no significant difference between usage time, installation method, visits in the past 3 months and Home Assistant expertise.
  • Adding a person was an easy task. It was hard to figure out why your light isn’t working.
  • YAML users didn’t like the YAML tools in this design. They want easy access to reload and reboot.
  • Most respondents wanted to go to the integration page to check why the lamp isn’t working.
  • Respondents who don’t use their smartphone for configuration wanted to know what this would look like on desktop.

Ideas from the comments

• Add search function for configuration
  • Add log errors/warnings to the integration page

Lessons for the next user test

• Explain that topic is closed for comments so that you can do this test without any influence.
  • Mobile test should work on mobile.
  • Testing on an iPad got some bugs.
  • People like doing these kind of test and we should do them more often.

The complete report can be found at design.home-assistant.io.

Hey designer!

We want to make it as easy for designers to contribute as it is for developers. There’s a lot a designer can contribute to. If you have a design you really think we should look at? Would you like to help build our own Design System? Do you have experience with user testing? Do you have strategic design ideas? Want to organize an online design workshop? Or just want to meet fellow designers?

And of course you can follow me on Twitter

For the most part I can see those results making sense.

But out of all of that I have the hardest part understanding the relationship between integrations and why automations are failing or just the logs in general.