Using a Button for Garage Door Cover? Seems like the perfect usage

With the inclusion of the Button capability in 2021.12, it seems like it would lend perfectly to a garage door button that does not have a state associated with it. Does anyone have any examples on how this could be defined in YAML?

From how I understood it, we can not implement a button helper.

Right now, I use Momentary Switch Component (in HACS) to use in conjuction with garage door. You can define how long you want the button pushed, etc.

Well in my case, I have a REST API button that doesn’t really have a length of time for a button push, but only a single API hit. So in that case, I wonder if it could work. I’ll have to give it a shot and see.

Well, the garage door actually has two states so I woudn’t call this a “perfect usage” for button.

A template cover might be better suited.

Think hes talking about a garage door opener though (button). Not the actual door.

Think hes talking about a garage door opener though (button). Not the actual door.

Precisely. :slight_smile: Just the opener button which in my case is a momentary switch… hooked up to a raspberrypi with a GPIO controlling a relay to connect the switch terminals. The raspberry pi will just accept the API command and handles the hold time itself. Just looking through the documentation, it doesn’t seem like there is a restful button yet though. :frowning: