Using a Joystick with Esphome

Has anyone been able to use one of these joysticks with Esphome?

That is ridiculously cheap isn’t it?

The docs says it acts as two analog readings (for x and y) and a switch (for press). You’d need two ADC pins, so a ESP32 should work best.

You’ll also need to adjust the voltage from 5v down to 1.1v with voltage divider resistors.

1 Like

Has anyone got a simple example for home assistant esphome 32 board

Ie moving a dot on screen in graph box or anything for me to get a simple starter project
Not very complicated
Moving in a box google map even for location with stick example anything easy to do with
Homeassistant and esphome thanks brian

The following works for me using this joystick: Arduino Compatible X and Y Axis Joystick Module | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand

I am powering this off the ESP32 3.3v, so no other voltage changes are needed, as each axis becomes 0-3.3v.

sensor:
  - platform: adc
    id: joystick_x  
    name: "Joystick X axis"  
    pin: GPIO33
    internal: True
    attenuation: auto
    update_interval: 500ms

- platform: adc
    id: joystick_y  
    name: "Joystick Y axis"  
    pin: GPIO35
    attenuation: 11db
    update_interval: 500ms
binary_sensor:
  # https://home-assistant-guide.com/guide/how-to-use-a-physical-switch-or-button-in-esphome-with-gpio-binary-sensor/
  - platform: gpio
    id: joystick_click
    pin:
      number: GPIO32
      mode: INPUT_PULLUP
      inverted: True
    name: "Joystick click"
display:
          if (id(joystick_x).has_state()) {
            it.printf(127, 70, id(roboto_10), colour_green, TextAlign::BASELINE_RIGHT , "JSX %.1f °", id(joystick_x).state);  
          }
          else {
            it.print(127, 70, id(roboto_10), colour_red, TextAlign::TOP_RIGHT ,"NJSX");  
          }

if (id(joystick_y).has_state()) {
            it.printf(127, 80, id(roboto_10), colour_green, TextAlign::BASELINE_RIGHT , "JSY %.1f °", id(joystick_y).state);  
          }
          else {
            it.print(127, 80, id(roboto_10), colour_red, TextAlign::TOP_RIGHT ,"NJSY");  
          }
1 Like