Using add-ons with home assistant core

I am running Home Assistant Core using the docker containers, but this latest release has got me all horny for local voice functionality :slight_smile: Is there any way that we HA-core peasants to run the add-ons for Whisper and Piper without having to move to the Home Assistant OS?

The documentation within the repo only says:

Follow these steps to get the add-on installed on your system:

1. Navigate in your Home Assistant frontend to SettingsAdd-onsAdd-on store.
  2. Find the “Piper” add-on and click it.
  3. Click on the “INSTALL” button.

But I can’t do that if I don’t have Home Assistant OS. There are Dockerfiles for both add-ons, are the images for them published anywhere? How can we configure them to run as separate containers alongside HA Core?

It also mentions the Wyoming integration, but I don’t think that integration is enough without the add-on. I guess I’ll see for sure once I get 2023.05 installed, but I don’t want to miss out on this!

4 Likes

Same here. I am running HA on a docker, and can’t find anything allowing me to add these new feats.

2 Likes

There may be a docker container for this in future (IDK) but at the moment the only choice is another installation method:

https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/#compare-installation-methods

I’ve never really wanted for an add-on before this one, I hope it becomes possible.

Well, it must be possible because it works within the home assistant OS. We just need to understand how add-ons work together with container or core.

Got the start of the answer from a friendly guy on Mastodon. I was looking under “homeassistant” on docker hub for these containers, but they are under “rasspy”.

And turns out, all the instructions are listed in the previous HA blog post, near the bottom, where they talk about Piper, Whisper, and the Wyoming integration that tries everything together.

I’ll probably give this a go tomorrow. It’s getting a little late to start something new tonight for me.

1 Like

I’m just watching the release and just figured out that it’s not for the core/pip install.
I’m sure some clever person will work it out and post, and i understand that it’s still in heavy dev so could totally change.

But really want something other than my ageing mk1 mycroft.

You can run these as plain docker containers.
This is my docker-compose.yaml

version: "3"
services:
## wyoming
  whisper:
    container_name: whisper
    image: rhasspy/wyoming-whisper
    command: --model medium-int8 --language fr
    volumes:
      - ./whisper-data:/data
    environment:
      - TZ=Europe/Brussels
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 10300:10300

piper:
    container_name: piper
    image: rhasspy/wyoming-piper
    command: --voice fr-siwis-medium
    volumes:
      - ./piper-data:/data
    environment:
      - TZ=Europe/Brussels
    restart: unless-stopped
    ports:
      - 10200:10200
4 Likes

I was going to put them in the same docker compose file as my home assistant container. Do you really have to open ports?

Not if they are on the same docker network

1 Like

thank you for sharing your docker compose.
Do you know what to use for host and port to activate the Wyoming protocol?

I’m running HA in docker and it needs manual population.

1 Like

Piper is 10200 and whisper should be 10300 with default settings

1 Like

thank you very much. So 2 configs for the wyoming protocol.
not so straight forward if your not running addons.

1 Like

The docker-compose above handle both. Not exactly mind blowing and actually easier than addons for me once I got the “command:” right :wink:

1 Like

I’ve tries with Raspberry 3B and Raspberry OS (32bit) and seems images are only for ARM64. Any chance to get docker images for arm 32?

Technically, you could build the docker images for 32bits, but I suspect the software itself is 64bits only.

Given the response times for Whisper, I’m not sure you’d even want to attempt this on anything less powerful than a Pi 4 anyway. Good luck!

1 Like

Any GPU support coming for piper and whisper? @juan11perez I know we have similar hardware. I find that running whisper with larger models is too slow on the cpu.

I found whisper dockers that use gpu but I don’t think they are supported by the Wyoming protocol.

I configured piper with the ‘recommended’ docker, but haven’t really used it.

I wanted to use it for TTS messages; It does create a tts.piper service but i couldn’t get it to work.

I haven’t really put time into it.

1 Like

Hi all.
Tryed the compose, it stops with

pi@hassbian:~ $ docker compose up
[+] Running 1/2
 ✘ whisper Error                                                                                                       1.7s
 ⠦ piper Pulling                                                                                                       1.7s
no matching manifest for linux/arm/v8 in the manifest list entries

I am on RPi4, bullseye 64.
Linux hassbian 6.1.28-v8+ #1649 SMP PREEMPT Fri May 12 14:25:37 BST 2023 aarch64 GNU/Linux
Any hint?
Thanks!!!

1 Like

I am having the same issue with it not pulling on a rpi4 because it cannot find the arm version. Did you ever find a solution?
Thanks!