Using CATT

What does “CATT” have to do with HA and “CAST” ?
I don’t get it.

I suggest you read the thread and/or the catt docs I guess.

I will revise that, although I have not resolved it yet! Of course an rtsp stream is not a web page to be cast with catt cast_site, it is going to be more likely to be something like

catt -d "Hub one" cast rtsp://password@IP:port/xx

although I think rtmp:// is nearer right!

The vlc in alpinelinux does not seem to have chromecast support built in. However most linuxes do. If you have another linux machine you could run an ssh commandline to run something like

cvlc rtsp://password@IP:port/xx --sout "#chromecast{ip=192.168.x.y}"

cvlc rtsp://password@IP:port/xx --sout "#chromecast{ip=192.168.x.y}"

I confirm that works from an ubuntu bionic version

I have - and I still don’t get it.
Is CATT an independent piece of software that can be installed on any computer ?
Is it headless?

yes and yes

Well I read all from that link.
As always, the author assumes that you know what CATT is, and that you know what it does and why you want it, and then goes on to to only explain how to install it.
What value does CATT add to the already existing CAST feature of Home Assistant ?
Why would you want both?
Or is CATT a replacement/alternative to CAST ?
Or do they interact and complement each other?

The first paragraph on the github page describes exactly what catt does. Yes it is an alternative to ha cast.

1 Like

So, i have been trying unsuccessfully for a lovelace streaming solution using a Chromecast and a TV. HA Cast is simply a pain, not reliable and custom cards don’t show up well, nor cameras.

Please help me understand if the below is possible:

• I want to use CATT
  • I need local LAN solution only, my HA is not exposed externally
  • i use a domain that i own with letsencrypt so i use https in my LAN - i would like to remain that way
  • Can i use CATT with https HA in my local LAN? apparently NOT
  • Chromecast devices can’t login to HA, i need multiple users

Let me know if the above is possible in any way

thanks

I cannot see why not.

I think that a touch device like a nest hub can (because you can interact), but a chromecast attached to a non touch TV would be difficult I think. Maybe with the LG style magic remote?

i would like to find a way to stream lovelace on my main tv as a display, any ideas of the best solution for that?

Does your TV have a web browser?

no it doesnt, that would have been ideal. I have an AppleTV a Chromecast and that’s it. Maybe there is not a solution for this yet

It certainly works with chromecast, as you can see from this thread.

I only have one user (me). Is there a different url for each user?

maybe i can set another instance of HA with just one user for this. A little off topic, can i send entity data from one HA instance to another? so i could do this?

Perhaps if you explain what you are trying to achieve we may be able to better help. Why do you need different user’s lovelace cast to the tv? For a different view (if so a different view may be enough).

I can’t imagine it is for security, as you probably cannot control anything if there is no way to interact with the TV screen.

i simply want to show some lovelace views in my living room TV. with some conditions:

• I want to keep my HA instance in https in my LAN
  • Dont want to expose HA to the internet or use nabu casa
  • Run automations to switch the lovelace views shown on the TV
  • i use keep my custom cards, like mini-graph, button and others

i want to use a chromecast or an appletv ideally. Maybe this is not an option and a RPI-W zero is he best option for this.

So what is the requirement to change user?

In order to bypass login you can only have one user. As the chromecast is not interactive. I want to keep using my multiple users for my kids, family, etc. I dont want to give up that just because of the limitations of the login bypass setting

Hello.
I´m having the same problem.
Which IP adress shoud I write in the auth_providers?
Hope you can help me.
Thanks