Using device Running Home Assistant Companion App as Voice Satellite

I’m trying to start using the new wake word feature and I have been wondering if it is possible to use a device that is running Home Assistant companion app as a voice satellite.
To be more specific, I have modified a sonoff panel pro to run regular android and I have installed home assistant companion and I use it as a control panel. I also have an Amazon Fire tablet that I use as a similar panel.
From what I understand a voice satellite continuously streams audio back to the HA server. Which makes me think that the Home Assistant companion app should be straight forward to configure in such a way to stream the device audio back to the server. The problem is that I have not found anything online.
Is anyone aware of any guides to achieve this? Or has an idea how to go about solving this issue?

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Satellite capabilities is supposed to come out in the next iteration of Year of the Voice. So not yet.

1 Like

So for now we are limited to ESPHome devices?

That is how I understand it. If you read through the thread/blog of the Chapter 4 release, Michael, the developer answered someone else’s similar question on that.

I was interested previously as I have a bunch of tablets on FKB, and asked if we would be able to do satellite later with that use case AND identify where the command came from.

His response was basically it is coming.

Fair enough, I’ll try with the esp32 and esphome, I’ve ordered the parts I theoretically need for now. Thanks for the response :slight_smile:

Have you seen the satellite code? I am going to try it on a rpi 1 that I have as well as a Linux x86 pc.

Got that running on a Raspberry Pi 4, and it kind of works. Seems to not be able to interpret some of my device names super well.

I tried with various ESP32 devices, and spent way too much time to no avail. I tried everything from components I slapped together myself to a Muse PROTO, but none of them have any indication they were hearing me at all.

If you have a speaker connected to your pi you can configure the --awake-sound option and the pi will play that sound if your wake word has been recognized. I connected a USB conference mic/speaker device that works quite well.

Any further updates on if this will still be coming to the companion app?

1 Like

Same here. Any updates on this?