Using HACS resources in Lovelace dashboard

I’m sure I’m asking something obvious, but after endless searching and reading I dare to post it here:

• running Home Assistant 2020.12.1
  • installed HACS 1.9.0
  • downloaded Mini Media Player 1.11.0

Now I’m trying to put the Mini Media Player (or any other resource) into a Lovelace dashboard. That’s where I’m stuck.

• putting the resources: code into the configuration.yaml file results in an error when checking the configuration file from inside Home Assistant

Component error: resources - Integration ‘resources’ not found.

• putting the resources: code into the raw configuration file for a dashboard results in an error from the interface, pointing out that resources should be added in the configuration window now.

• after enabling Advanced mode, I found the configuration window in Settings with the resources tab. The dialog asks me for an URL. What do I put there?

The Mini Media Player installation guide talks about /local/mini-media-player-bundle.js?v=1.11.0. If put that into the URL field, the dashboard card configuration doesn’t find the resource, resulting in an error: Error: Custom element not found: mini-media-player

In my search I read somewhere that /local is only a placeholder for the /www directory. So I tried all sorts of combinations but nothing works. The full path on my filesystem is:

/usr/share/hassio/homeassistant/www/community/mini-media-player

As I said, I’m sure this is obvious. Can you please help?

Further searching produced the solution. In the resources tab I had to put the URL:

/hacsfiles/mini-media-player/mini-media-player-bundle.js?v=1.11.0

Apparently, /hacsfiles is a virtual directory that resolves to the real place. Now it is working.

For anyone else searching, the resources tab is under Configuration, Lovelace Dashboards, Resources tab

1 Like

just went through this whole rigamarole- - for anyone else searching:

/local/community is where resources are literally stored
replace that with /hacsfiles as @kongo09 stated, and as @jonkatz1 said, go to:
Configuration > Lovelace Dashboards > Resources

(this answer is redundant; I’m just combining the 2 answers)

I also spent forever trying to figure this out and these solutions are seemingly obsolete so I am adding what works now.

This is in the case of installing from HACS and using a recent enough version of HA with the new layout (as of Feb/March, I think). There is no need to edit any YAML. The Resources page can be found on the Settings / Dashboards page by clicking the three vertical dots at the top-right. No YAML required and this the only thing that worked for me after 2 hours of trying everything else.

I’ve been looking for a bit now and still can’t find it.

I’m fairly new to home assistant.

Using docker, Home Assistant 2022.7.6, Frontend 20220707.1 - latest.

No dots on Settings → Dashboard.

Was it moved?

This:

have you installed HACS? I don’t see it in your side panel.

No I haven’t installed it - I’m obviously new to this, I didn’t know it was a separate thing.

Looks like I need to find a docker image with it or create my own :frowning:

I too couldn’t find the config → lovelace dashboards → resources in the HA UI until I read this:

Basically you need to enable “Advanced Mode” under your profile (go to bottom-left corner of the HA UI). The “3 dots” in Settings → Dashboards will appear at the top-right corner. It will allow you to select “Resources”.

which basically points to this link:

http://192.168.X.XX:8123/config/lovelace/resources

(where 192.168.X.XX is your HA IP address)