Using Home Assistant UI from Raspberry PI

Hello everyone, I have a very basic question.
Today I have just installed HomeAssistant (Hassio) manually on my Raspberry Pi3 from the link: https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/
After a few problems, I have come to the login terminal like the picture:

Then I have to use my laptop to login to the http://hassio.local:8123
Finally, end up with installation on the web browser.

I assume that my installation is successful. But I feel it’s very inconvenient to run both the Raspberry Pi and doing work on my laptop at the same time. So my question is: How do I log in to the Home Assistant webpage with my Raspberry Pi? At the moment the PI only displays something like a command prompt, how do I get out of it but still keep it running?
Can I run Raspbian and HomeAssistant at the same time? I have read lots of tutorials but nobody actually talked about this.
Thank you in advance for any help.

1 Like

HassOS has no GUI. You can’t run a desktop environment on it. If you want to use the pi as a desktop, you need to install Raspbian, and do the Hassio generic linux install

Yes. Follow the directions.

1 Like

So this method is similar with install on Docker, right?

HassIO is always install on Docker, this is how HassIO addons work. The Hass-Supervisor that comes with all HassIO install will manage Docker containers, which includes all the addons.

If you install HassIO by downloading an image, flash onto SD card and plugging into Pi, you have HassIO running on top of HassOS. HassOS is very different to Raspbian. This is why you see the command prompt and cannot access the desktop.

If you follow flamingm0e’s link. It tells you how to install HassIO onto generic Linux (eg. Raspbian). So then, you can have standard Raspbian with HassIO running in the background.

Did you read the link I provided? It was an option on the link YOU provided also if you read down the list.

ok thank you, i think i have a better understanding now. I’ll try it out