Using Matter and Thread in a dockerized HA instance

What would I need here?

A running matter-server container and the Matter integration in HA?

What needs to run on the machine where the SkyConnect USB stick is actually plugged in? (some border router software?)

I do already haver a ZigBee network and do not need the ZigBee functionality of the stick. Can ZigBee be turned off or would that be a stupid idea?

Better to flash with the Thread-only firmware.

https://skyconnect.home-assistant.io/about-firmware-options/

and

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll do that.

Regarding the Setup?

1. One Container with OpenThreadBoarderRouter that connects to the physical device (SkyConnect USB stick)?
  2. Matter server container
  3. Matter Integration in HA

Is that correct?

Correct … .

And remember that you need an IPv6 network and preferable just one with IPv6 configuration set to Automatic in HA.
Do not expect to get it to work if the HA or Matter containers have multiple NICs configured.
And finally remember to copy the credentials to the Thread network to the commissioning device.

This is the way for Android phones to copy the credentials over (I do not have an iPhone, so no idea there)

On the Android Companion App open Settings → Companion App → Troubleshooting (I think that is what it is called in english, but it list logfiles and other tools to diagnostics as description of the item).
In this next window click the Sync Thread Login Credentials (Again it might not be named exactly that, but close to and there should not be that many options and it should be in the bottom)

It should say either something with “Added …” or “Already using the same credentials”.
The trick here is to run it again and make sure that it does not say “Added …” the second time.

If it does then you need to clear the Google Play Services Cache, which might clear a lot of other stuff, like login to services and credit card informations for Google Play and websites and so on, so make sure you know you informations before hand.

The way to clear the cache is Settings → Apps → See All Apps → Google Play Services → Storage and Cache → Manage Storage → Clear All Cache
Now repeat the syncing of the thread credentials above.