Using Synology DS to Setup NAS and HA in VM + Cameras Onvif

Dear,

i’m very new to HA and never used it before. I’m planing to move in a couple months and have a few questions i was not able to find an answer for.
I’m living in Germany so i might not have access to all products i saw on some threads on here, but i hope i have a chance to figure that out.

I would like to explain my initial Plan first.
When i move to the new location, it will be stripped mostly, so i’m able to put in new wireing etc in the Home, i would like to wire everything up that can be wired.
Like WiFI Accesspoints with PoE, Smart Home stuff that supports PoE and of course PoE Cameras.

I would like to add PoE Cameras around the House outside and Inside. Like 6 or 7 maybe total.

• i would like them to just record on Motion and like 5 seconds prior and also send me a notification and show me the picture.
  • If there has to be delay, so be it, - whats important for me is the recording not the live view 1:1
  • I would also like to add a Doorbell with Camera and notification.

EDIT: I thought about something like this Reolink Kit including NVR and connecting that NVR into HA? Plus the Doorbell as well.
Camerakit + NVR and Doorbell
I have seen some Threads about using HA to access the NVR and grab the Footage and also use the Doorbell features.

Also i would like to setup Homeautomation stuff, Hue, Cleanrobot, Smart switches, Door and Motion sensors etc.

I don’t know how to set it up the best way to have this working together in the most “simple” way.

Like i thought to put it in like one place, like buy a Synology DS for example, have it Setup as a Cloud/NAS Solution + Installing HA on a VM and using Onvif for example for the Cameras?

Final goal should be, to have everything running WITHOUT a Cloud, but local and without any Subscription services.
I saw people always talk about the Surveilance App Synology has included, i also saw it just enables 2 Cameras, for more you have to buy subscription ? Is there a way to avoid it using an App in HA for example instead of going directly through Synology? Or isnt this possible?

Maybe the better route would be to build a NAS myself with OpenNAS and Host HA on there? Or do something totaly different with multiple solutions, like Pis and stuff?

I hope i was able to explain the issue i have well enough for you to understand.
Sorry my english is lacking.

Greetings from Germany and thanks in advance.

Synology NAS is only good for 2-3 cameras due to throughput, unless you spend big money for a higher-end unit.

My suggestion is to buy a dedicated NVR, which is essentially peanuts these days without the drives. This is coming from a $100 NVR owner who provided the 4K video that locked up a murderer for 25-life a few months ago…

Oh that sounds good to me. So if i use a NVR thats connected by Ethernet i can find it using HA i guess? Any suggestions there?

Also do you have a tip or two how to run HA? Like using a Dedicated Solution for HA?

My mantra is that home AUTOMATION should be invisible. I do not even have an HA dashboard configured! I also use a commercial alarm system monitored by a professional remote station for our burglar/fire stuff, rather than trying to cobble something together that may or may not work when an emergency strikes. I do have HA integrated as a secondary keypad into the alarm system, to arm/disarm and receive door/window/motion/smoke activity for non-critical automations. My NVR is not connected to HA, although there are available integrations for some of the ones on the market.

I’m running HA OS as a virtual machine on a Synology Plus-model NAS. (Only the Plus models can run Intel virtual machines.) While it runs flawlessly, I don’t recommend it because Synology does nor re-connect USB devices to a VM after a NAS reboot, meaning that you have to go in and re-attach the USB to the VM every time if you’re using a USB Z-Wave or Bluetooth dongle. There are LAN-type methods to integrate with Z-Wave, but I have not been motivated to investigate them any further…

I’ve been running 5 cameras on low end Synology (214play) for years now and no issues so far - recording is 24/7 + per event. So while I do agree with what you said, but I also wouldn’t cross Synology of the NVR list.