Using the MSR-1 sensor to control HVAC fresh air with a Heat z recovery Ventilator (HRV)

Shoutout to Aaron Morris for giving us permission to post this!

"I have a brand new home that’s super airtight. After putting in the MSR-1 in our main bedroom, I could see that CO2 levels were rising to 1200 ppm and beyond. I had already implemented a simple relay based ESPHome device that closes a set of dry contacts to turn in our fresh air system HRV. By default the builder has the HRV running all the time, but that’s sucking down 100W all the time. I wanted to modify the behavior to run every 20 minutes regardless and the. Shut off. But I wanted to make sure if the outside air is really bad quality over 150 AQI to not bring in that smoky air. I have another ESPHome project for that which has a PM25 and temp sensor outdoors. Now with the MSR-1 I know the CO2 levels, so the automation needs to not shut off the HRV if the CO2 is over 800ppm.

Here’s where my automation lives: https://github.com/.../HomeAssistant/tree/main/Automations

Here’s the MSR-1 sensor: GitHub - ApolloAutomation/MSR-1

Here’s the outdoor Pm25 sensor: GitHub - aaronsmorris/OutdoorPM25WeatherStation: An outdoor PM25 and weather station project using ESPHome

See the pictures above to get an idea of what a night looks like with and without the HRV running the automation.

I’ll add another repo shortly for my HRV controller which is controlling a Broan. You can essentially do something similar in a normal home but instead just firing up fan only on your furnace/hvac system if you have a fresh air intake that is open. Some homes always being in fresh air when the furnace runs with a duct and a simple damper, others have a fancy electric damper that turns on and off with a timer. If you home is built in the last 20 years or so you probably have something. Another option if you can install a simple HRV/ERV in rooms to bring in fresh air and use this kind of automation."

1 Like

Hi,

@ApolloAutomation, would you be so kind to correct URL to your automations since it was pasted incorrectly (link is broken):

Thank you in advance,

Myroslav