Using the Ring Alarm Keypad with Home Assistant

Which firmware version do you have? I tested this on both my keypads, and it works as expected on v1.18, but not 1.8. Looks like it might be a big in older firmware versions.

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a way to upgrade the firmware without a real Ring system. It should be doable, but I’ve never been able to find the firmware files.

I have firmware 1.18.

I’m using Node-RED for my automations.

For example I have simulated an alarm away:

• Use zwave_js set_value
{
    "command_class": "135",
    "endpoint": "0",
    "property": "18",
    "property_key": "7",
    "value": "5"
}

You see that the red light bar is counting and after the 5 seconds the Home away button is on for some milliseconds.

In the meantime I have also a delay node of 5 seconds executing in Node-RED

Then the next node will set the keypad to Armed Away:

{
    "property": "11",
    "property_key": "1",
    "value": "1"
}

Then the light of Armed away stays off.

Or is it necessary to revert the actions:

so first the armed away/home commands
and then the exit delay command?

When I execute it this way, the bar stays fully red and the away or home buttons stays red

I have found a solution to let the light goes on directly after arming: the value should be 0 instead of 1:

{
    "property": "11",
    "property_key": "1",
    "value": "0"
}

I have another question:

When you send a command to the panel: property 16 “Keypad says Sensors require bypass” then the enter button blinks for some seconds.

How can you determine when you get an event_type of 2 (enter button) if this enter mode is blinking (so you are in bypass mode request) or that not the bypass mode request is running?

Do you have to time it your self so for some seconds?

I’m happy to report that the motion sensor timeout configuration parameter is now in the ZWaveJS device database. You may need to force a reinterview for existing keypads, but at that point you should be able to set it through the UI.

Sorry for being slow. For some reason Google keeps not actually showing me replies to this topic.

I don’t believe there’s any difference in the report sent whether or not it’s in bypass required mode. What we do in the blueprint is to try to arm, then wait a few seconds to see if we get an enter press with no data. If we see that, we do a forced arm.

Okay thanks for the information.

Also many thanks for all your work investigating this product. I have to say that everything works perfectly.

Controlling the Ring Keypad, the alarm control panel in Home Assistant, HomeKit → everything works perfectly synced (I’m using Node-RED). It’s really cool.

One thing that Ring could improve should be adding a NFC reader on the panel :slight_smile:

But I think I will add an extra device besides this panel which will include a nfc reader.

So, my first v2 keypad paired flawlessly and is working fine with ha/alarmo. I bought another keypad, and i can’t get it to work at all. nothing in logs, its not showing up either for inclusion or exclusion. any ideas?

I have been trying to follow through these threads to find a concise answer to how to do the following (using Alarmo, ring2MQTT, Keypad v2=all working):

Want a brief “ding” or chime on the keypad whenever a door sensor opens.

Thanks

I’m not sure what complication ring2mqtt introduces into the mix, but for standard z-wave:

Thanks for the blueprint. It is almost flawless.
I have two V1 keypads and arming and disarming works like a charm.
Both synchronically telling the state.
But… I can’t seem to get the motion detection working.
The proximity value is true (switch to false and back to true, to make sure it is set)
Re-included the keypad, forcing it to use S2, but still not working.
Has anybody any idea?
I know the V2 keypads connect with Z-Wave Plus: Version 2 instead of 1…

Info:
Firmware: 1.9

Z-Wave-info
Apparaat-ID: 23
Apparaatstatus: Levend
Apparaat gereed: Ja
Hoogste beveiliging: S2-toegangscontrole
Z-Wave Plus: Versie 1

Hi folks, fairly new to HA and wondering if anyone can advise me how to troubleshoot and solve this issue.

Have the HUZBSB-1 stick on a PI-3, with the gen2 keypad. Using the blueprint for the keypad, with either zwave-js or zwavejs2mqtt stacks seems to work well and the keypad functions great for a few hours. After this, when close or max 10m apart, the keypad shows the red wifi signal and never reconnects (can’t reinterview or heal). Needs a full 10s reset on the keypad to get it going again. Have tried setting property 26 to 60 but no difference.

Many thanks for any advise

Solved my own problem in a way. No matter what i would do, it would never connect. Went on a deep dive on google and found various posts on ring’s forums, and one user suggested holding the “1” button down to perform a soft reset. I did this and it was instantly connected and recognized by HA. so if you have issues with the keypad, i would suggest this. it worked for me.

1 Like

@Richsm
Thanks for your report about incompatibility between Ringv2 and aeotec Gen5.
The Ring keypad v2 is a S2 securety device; so it should suggest to use a similar coordinator (like gen5+ or the Gen7 aeotec… not the older standard…

@ImSorryButWho
Could you tell us which coordinator are you using with zwave ?

BR

For what it’s worth, the Gen5 can be updated to the same firmware as the Gen5+. (There’s apparently a slight risk to brick your stick during, which is why Aeotec recently tool down the update and reuploaded a few days ago with a caveat, that bricking the stick during the update would not be covered by their warranty.)

@mundschenk-at
Maybe this is the link you were talking about ?

the documentation above desceribe the S2 new feature as:

• Supports SmartStart
  • Supports S2 pairing as a secondary controller

Just as it would apply only when connecting with a secondary controller, NOT with the Ring 2 keypad…

What about considering to buy a Z-WAVE STICK 700 instead ?
Any considerations ?

BR
Giuliano

It of course also supports S2 security when used as the primary controller,

Never mind…
I had the battery saving setting enabled, which means the proximity is not working. :shushing_face:

ZWaveJS2MQTT still needed ?

@ImSorryButWho

Opening you github page, you report that (at the time of the project) the S2 crypto was NOT supported by Zwave-JS, and you had to use a message brocer stack ZWaveJS2MQTT

Today Actual Z-Wave JS, confirm to support S2 crypto

My QUESTION is:
Is ZWaveJS2MQTT still required for some functionality with Ring2 keypad, or ZwaveJS alone will pefrorm now flawlessy ?

I’m using ZWaveJS alone and it is working perfect.
Tip: if you change from ZWaveJSMQTT to ZWaveJS, copy the S0 and S2 keys from ZWaveJSMQTT as ZWaveJS does not provide a way to generate them. (I know I’m kinda lazy :slight_smile: )