Using the Ring Alarm Keypad with Home Assistant

What’s your goal here? You can probably get things working to reflect the state of the internal Manual Alarm Control Panel, if you’re trying to avoid Alarmo for some reason. But the keypad is not a alarm control panel, and doesn’t have the logic necessary to be a standalone alarm system by itself.

That said, I’d really urge you to try out Alarmo. The dev is very responsive, it’s very stable, and it’s both much easier and much more flexible than the built-in manual alarm panel.

Well… this is embarrassing, but I thought Alarmo was the name of the Ring Alarm Central :blush:
Never mind me, I’ll find the door out :slight_smile:

1 Like

How can I make a firmware update via homeassistant to the keypad 2?

BTW do you know why the “keypad_v2_system_software_failure_with_failure_code” changes state from off (ok) to on (problem)?

To the best of my knowledge, you can’t. You should be able to do a normal ZWave firmware update if you can get you hands on the firmware image, but Ring doesn’t make that available outside their proprietary ecosystem.

I’ve never figured out what that error means, but as far as I can tell it’s harmless.

1 Like

Thanks for the awesome info compiled here - this is really excellent.

I know we can receive a message when one of the “emergency” (police, fire, medical) buttons along the left side of the keypad is long-pressed, but is there a way to go the other direction and turn the lights on those buttons on and off? (I’d like to be able to light one up to indicate when a door or window is open.)

No, they’re not independently controllable over Z-Wave. The closest would probably be to put it into medical alarm mode, which at least doesn’t play an obnoxious noise, but I’d guess it’s a lot more flashing than you probably want.

Oh, well. Thanks for confirming. It was a nice-to-have feature, and everything else is working great. Thanks again!

If you disarm the alarm with alarmo, will the Ring keypad also be in the disarmed state, or will it remain in the armed state ? In other words, can Alarmo also operate the ring keypad by means of a automation ?

Yes.

But, this behavior needs to be programmed via an automation. I use Node Red, and have flows that watch for changes to the Alarmo state and send the appropriate commands to the Ring keypad to set their states to match. And vice versa, automations that watch for keypad entries to arm or disarm and send those commands to Alarmo. So everything stays in synch, and the user experience is that they are totally seamless and integrated.

I don’t use the blueprint that this thread’s author has created, but I believe it takes care of all of this for you, if you don’t want to create your own automations.

1 Like

Ok, thanks :+1:

I can highly recommend the Ring keypad with Alarmo and Home Assistant. I’m even using 2 of these keypads for more than a year and I’m very happy with it. I use the blueprint and everything syncs perfectly.

I just ordered one. I’m looking forward to it. I will also combine it with an RFID reader based on the “Smart Home Junkie” version:

You can also use a very cheap NFC sticker next to the keypad and let your phone unlock Alarmo via the home assistant companion app when it scans this NFC tag… Simple and cheap!

For those of you with zero drop-outs / disconnects, what stick are you using?

I’m looking to stay with a gen 5 stick. I have a 700 series that gave me a lot of problems. Currently using a nortek husbzb with updated firmware. I have other S2 devices that are very reliable, but my keypads show the red icon somewhat regularly. Its common enough that I have to give long entrance delays so I can run to a different keypad if it stops working when I need it.

I have set the motion sensor timeout to 60 seconds. Is there another setting that would make this more stable?

I’m wondering if it would be worth it to get a ring hub just to update these and then return / resell it.

I was having some disconnect issues with my ZOOZ 700 Controller. Because the controller is relatively nearby with good signal strength, I opted to set a preferred route directly to the controller rather than it relying on a hop from another device. That cooled down my disconnects quite a bit.

Thanks! That’s a good tip. I’ll give that a try later today. I don’t know how to do that, but I’m sure its in the docs.

I think I set it in the map using priority route. If thats it, then it was easy enough…

I have 2 Ring Keypad v2 devices installed to my ZAC93 800 GPIO Module within a HA Yellow device. It has only dropped (“red signal”) a handful of times, however, my home is full of ZEN32 800LR repeaters which seems to help. I was installing a new system, therefore, I made sure to only install 800LR where possible.

Both of my Ring Keypads are making 3 hops each to the controller.

I’m not sure if it is related to recent Home Assistant upgrade or something… I noticed my keypad is not working any longer as no zwave_js_notification event will be sent regardless of which button I press on the keypad, redoing the interview and rebuild routes does not help, I disconnect the power cable and briefly press the reset with a pin and all of a sudden it starts working agin.

Very strange, not sure what happened.

@busy996bot It is not caused by an upgrade or anything HA related.
If you leave the keypad connected to the mains after the battery is full, somehow everything stops working, just disconnect the charger and press the reset briefly and tadaa… everything starts working again.

I got this from an other thread somewhere, don’t remember where.
Happened to me a few years ago when I left it connected overnight…

2 Likes