Utilizing multiple network interfaces to keep hardware offline and HA online

Hi all,

I am brand new here, so many apologies if this post if not up to snuff. I am very excited to play with this technology and hope I can contribute in the near future. I have web full stack experience, but lack networking, hence this post. With that being said, I am currently researching exactly how to accomplish this setup and I’m finding a lack of information on it. I have yet to install HA because I’m unsure if I will attempt to do it on OS or on Docker and the input here may influence that. What I am looking for from you is a confirmation whether or not this planned setup is worth pursuing, or if I’m chasing a dream. If it is possible, could you advise what I should research or configs to follow? I have been trying but unable to find concrete answers on this problem without sinking a ton of time into possible solutions.

My goal is to have all of my IoT devices connected to a wifi router which is offline and acts entirely as a connection between my server and the devices. This is beneficial for two reasons: 1) the main network keeps full bandwidth rather than permanently hampered by 24/7 streams and 2) I do not want any of the devices to be able to reach out externally. I already have this setup with IP Cameras and BlueIris, and I want to add HA onto this existing system.

Currently my setup looks like:

Ideally, an IoT device on the offline side would be able to interface with HomeAssistant on the internet side by virtue of HomeAssistant utilizing multiple network adapters OR I can write something custom to pass-through expected events by hand (not sure how that would look, just spitballing)

(cut diagrams due to new user limitation)

I’ve found the following posts which seem relevant:
HassOS with multiple network cards - #16 by ld9000 (awesome replies, looks possible, will try this first)
(cut other relevant forum posts due to new user limitation – believe me I did search and read existing posts)

I realize this may be a noob question, but I am researching and learning as much as I can, and I realize I have a lot of work on my end before I come begging others for help. My only hope here is to become aware of the possibilities of my intentions with the current software, and any popular design patterns or snafus I should be aware of, as to not waste any more time than I need to. I used to have all the time in the world to tinker, and now I only have minutes that feel like seconds :slight_smile:

Thank you and good day!

Here is the diagram I cut from above due to the new user limitation:

I’d look at putting a PFSense firewall/router in there, it’ll give you much more flexibility.

I do that along with VLANS.

Hi Sean,
Any luck with your config? Asking as I’m in the midst of implementing HA on a server with two NICs, one “off the internet” for iot devices and one “online” for HA software updates, notifications, etc. So far it is mostly working… albeit I cannot select which integration should use which NIC. That level of granularity does not seem available yet.

Did you ever get this to work? I have a very similar setup and issue