Venmar (Vanee/Broan) ERV / HVAC controller output

The Bluetooth is there to interface with the 20-40-60 deluxe control. (20-40-60 Deluxe Control | VänEE)

For those periods, the 20-40-60 control will turn on turbo mode (max ventilation). Since it’s a battery-operated Bluetooth device, you can put it anywhere and attach a switchbot. That way, you can automatically turn on high-speed ventilation if the air quality falls below a certain threshold.

I have the Bluetooth controller but was hoping for a more elegant solution than sticking switchbot onto it to trigger the unit. The bluetooth switch does have tx and receive terminals pads so wondering there is anyway to hack a ESP32 on it to control it or perhaps anyway to capture and clone the Bluetooth signal being sent from it so home assistant can directly trigger it without needing a switchbot.

Failing that using a Shelly Relay maybe the next best bet.

I was thinking the same thing last night, but if it’s possible at all, it’s way beyond my capabilities. I think that Bluetooth communications might be encrypted, and there may be some protection that ensures that the advanced controller pairs with the deluxe 20-40-60 controller. Or maybe not. I have no idea.

I know the switchbot is not an elegant solution, but look at the bright side: you can create a custom 3d case that will hold both the switchbot and the 20-40-60 controller. That’s what I plan to do. It will be a stand-alone package that I can keep in the closet, and no one will ever know how inelegant it is.

I tried to look into Bluetooth Packet capture using wireshark but novice at it so couldn’t seem to capture the proper data packets. If anyone has good tutorial on how to try to read the signal being sent from Bluetooth switch to remote controller, please share.

Hey @strikeir13 have you tried the in-line power monitoring method I highlighted above… (re: feedback in knowing that a state change request has been accepted by the switchbot), using a power meter smart plug, i was able to map all of the states to various power levels. But more importantly, because you can see the power CHANGING, you can assess if a state transition actually made it from the switchbot to the pressing of the button to the change of state. This is a little slow, but I’ve learned for efficiency, my zigbee based power meter sends updated information whenever even the power changes by a watt. So you can see the system where you can build a parallel look that looks like an “ACK” in ethernet comms, etc. ie., send the command, have a timeout for the “ACK” that is represented by a change in “Watts” >= xyz Watts, then you WAIT to confirm the state change in the state machine. I put a HA bluetooth proxy right beside my switchbot, and the signal is pretty fast. I learned to do this with my cat feeder that also is a cheap automatic feeder that has two extra sensors, a RF tag reader and a switchbot. Unfortunately this one didn’t have the power meter, so when i designed the HRV system I was looking forward to trying it out as a feedback sensor.

No, my issue was not the state feedback, but the Bluetooth reception. I couldn’t get the Switchbot to reliably receive commands, even with an esphome Bluetooth proxy in the same room, so I abandoned my efforts.

I am using power monitoring to verify the operational status, but I still don’t have a way to turn the unit off. I’ve partially sidestepped the issue, though, by adding the optional HEPA filter to my ERV. This lets me run the unit continuously even with residual wildfire smoke outside, which was my goal to begin with.

I have finally solved the problem or having HA control my ERV. I designed and printed a 3d holder for my switchbot and attached it to the 20/40/60 Deluxe controller. I can tell you that Broan doesn’t make it easy to use their controller with a switchbot. I had 7 prototypes to get this design right. I’m going to write my scripts to press the buttons when the air quality degrades and I’ll keep this setup in the closet behind the master controller.

1 Like

Three helpers and two automations later, I have the entire setup automated. Please see the attached Lovelace Cards. The system now activates the ERV Turbo mode when the Air Quality drops to Abnormal or worse. But I can also trigger the system by pressing the ERV Turbo Button on the dashboard. Regardless of which method activates the ERV, Home assistant will track the state of the ERV and the time left in turbo mode:

1 Like