Version 2.0 setup not recognising nabu casa setup

My iPhone is set to auto-update apps and this morning I find that the hassio companion app has been updated to a completely new version with breaking changes.
: this is very poor practice. If an app date requires complete new setup and has breaking changes it should be released as a new app, not as an update that could break existing installations - potentially when the user is far away from home and dependent on having working remote access.

Anyway, I was at home and the app went through its setup, but it hasn’t recognised nabu casa. Now I am out of the house and I cannot connect to HA because the internal URL is in the external URL field and I cannot change it without getting an error.

Luckily I can still access HA through the browser, so nothing wrong with nabu casa.

Sorry you’ve had a bad update experience. Releasing as a new app was discussed but I suspect supporting two apps wasn’t going to happen.
Anyway here is what likely happened on your update:
The updated app requires always-on access to location data which since ios13 includes the wifi ssid in order to determine internal/external. It falls back to external.

If you add that internal access by allowing location it should detect nabu casa and that checkbox should become available once you enter your internal url.

It is possible it might take a restart of the app for the nabu checkbox to be available.

This all assumes that the app detected nabu during onboarding and set up the relevant webhook for you (you can check that ny going to the cloud integration in ha and looking for webhooks set up by mobile_app.

Hope you’ll get it sorted with this.
-Jan

Thanks, Jan.
I’ll have another go when I get back home later today.

Gareth

No luck.
I checked location services and it is set to ‘always’. The iphone is up to date and has been rebooted.
I reset the app, quit and started afresh. It found hass and recognised nabu casa after I authenticated. It had the local IP address in external url. Internal URL was blank.

I quit the app and disconnected from wifi so that it would try and access over 3G. When I launched the app it just reported a timeout. It still had the internal IP address in external url and the internal url was blank.

Unfortunately because Apple changed the iOS permissions with iOS 13 this is a bit more complicated:

1. Copy and paste what’s in external URL to internal URL (while on your Wifi)
  2. Possibly restart the app
  3. You should now have the checkbox for “Connect via Cloud” available, activate that.

You’re done.
The reason for this is that during onboarding the app can no longer assume that it has access to SSIDs, so whatever is entered/detected will be set up as external URL. Whenever there is no Internal URL and with only External URL available the Cloud checkbox isn’t active.

Thanks, that worked.
I don’t recall seeing these incantations mentioned in the “Getting Started” guide for the app. That guide only gets you as far as connecting locally and makes no mention of the hoops that need to be jumped through to connect remotely. Or did I miss it?

I think we missed that. We’ll fix the guide.

1 Like

Excellent. I’m sure it will save you some support interactions :slight_smile:

Gareth