Very smart button for basement

So for a long time I wanted to add LED strip mounted on the stairs rail.
And I did…
Obviously I connected the strip to ESP8266 and wrote some code to connect it to HA via MQTT. So far very standard.
But I also wanted a physical button so I used a cool arcade button with inner LED so it will glow when the light it off.
But then I thought: Sometime I just want to turn on / off the stairway light but often I want to turn on other lights in the basements: The main lights, the electronic lab, and the electric workbench.
So the solution was to add a long click action: When I press the button it will turn on/off the LED strip. But if I keep pressing it for a second, it will trigger an MQTT sensor that is picked up by HA. Now, with some basic automation, then this binary sensor is turned on, HA knows to turn on/off the other lights in the basement.

So now, when I go does to the basement, I just need to push the button for a second and all the lights are turned on. When I go out of the basement, I do the same to turn it all off.

4 Likes

Thats awesome. Can you post a link to the button? I’d love to use that in a project but not digging on the green (and I know the wife wouldn’t like it)

Sure. I got it from AliExpress here.

If you want a nicer button I suggest this one which I used in another project.

Can you share the code? I’m interested in building an mqtt physical button, but I don’t have any programming experience

Happy to:

How is the LED strip powered? Looked clean and didn’t see any wires

There is a wire inside the wall that connects to a 12V power supply.
Not sure it’s visible in the video but there is another covered opening int the wall right beneath the button, close to the rail. That’s where the “brain” is. Power gets there from within the wall, feeds the ESP8266 and the strip. The button is connected tot he ESP8266 with another cord inside the wall (about 2ft)

Your link to the other project doesn’t work because it is to the youtube edit mode, which presumably needs your password or something. Should be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPm36SpD0qA

Nice projects.

1 Like