Video doorbell without cloud?

Thanks.
I don’t believe the doorbell is ONVIF compatible. It’s certainly not listed on Hikvision’s website specs:
https://www.hikvision.com/europe/Products/Video-Intercom/Wi-Fi-Door-Bell/DS-KB6403-WIP

It’s still available at $89, a 47% discount off the normal price. Get 'em while they’re still available!

1 Like

Great deal. I really like this doorbell quite a bit. The 180 degree FOV allows you to see the ground right in front of the doorbell. Only thing that I miss is that the motion senor alerts do not work in HA at the moment. Something about the doorbells not being fully compliant with the hikivision api

The video quality of the 3MP sensor is really, really good. :slight_smile: The PIR is a bit too sensitive, having to be dialed back to minimum range with the EZViz app. I tried using the Hikvision integration over a year ago with their ‘cube’ cameras. It worked well, but needed to be restarted every few days to remain active. :frowning: Without a restart, it would hang up and stop working.

Oh, if you want ONVIF capability, grab the LaView firmware link from the IPCamTalk website thread for this camera. It provides ONVIF. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Hikvision has a few flaws: it will only work with the Hikvision App and there is no way to integrate it easily into the home automization. Yes, you can intercept the rtsp-stream but you will not have two-way audio which makes it a simple camera with a call-button.
The other known minor flaw of the Hikvision is that the infrared leds cause blemishes in the video stream at night and kind of renders it unusable.
A Pi-zero-cam solution is cheaper, has more capabilities and again: two way audio will be complicated and it has to be integrated in some aesthetically pleasing housing which is not everybody´s cup of tea. Someone mentioned a Pi-zero with MotionEyeOS would be good but be aware that MEye does not and will not support two-way audio.

From all the solutions presented, mine would be taking a RaspberryPi 4, adding a logitech 920 HD-cam and an external ring-button. Add a bluetooth speaker and connect a microphone. Run WebRTC for the images and two-way audio. For right now, this is the only way to get a video stream, call-button and two-way audio integrated into any home automization user interface without any need to use the manufacturer´s app or their cloud.

Another neat way is using an old Android-phone, use a Kiosk-software to display an html-page with a ring-button and IP-webcam software for the video calls. Again, the inconvenience might be that not everybody is capable to design an enclosure to make it a neat solution someone wants to have at the door.

1 Like

There is also the SIP option. SIP Doorbell, android tablet and HA integration

The only way I see this currently work outside the DIY spectrum is through SIP. I’ve struggled with the same problems for a while since I have an axis door station a8004-ve. Together with RasPBX, a SIP client on the phone ( GS Wave / Acrobits ) and Doordroid as an WebRTC client into HA it sort of works. Incoming and outgoing calls are registered everywhere even with remote push. However still have some issues with the 2 way audio, depending on who’s calling it works or not. If the doorstation calls I get no audio on the WebRTC client, the other way around I do get 2 way communication ( video is nicely being sent everywhere ). I know this is due to NAT / SSL restrictions etc so it’s definitely possible but not for the faint of heart … :sweat_smile:

Easiest and probably cheapest is to go with a solution around HA … like the Hikvision with a separate indoor station and an app.

I’ve since discovered the DB1 doorbell DOES provide motion events, using ONVIF message events. Blue Iris can subscribe to these and trigger video recording from them.

Do you (or anyone else) know if you can subscribe to these motion events with any of the HA integragtions other than blue iris. While It seems like BI is a great tool, It more than I need, but I would love to be able to do some automations based on the motion event.

I use a combination of motion and tensorflow to detect when a person is in front of the camera

we could make a nice video doorbell with a raspberry pi, a night view camera and a button but the only problem is the case.
There is no watarproof case for the raspberry which looks moderately good and have some holes for the camera, IR leds and a button.

You could design one and get it 3D printed online if you don’t have a 3D printer. If it was me I would install them onto a piece of stainless steel plate and recess the lot into the wall such that it’s just a nice flat piece of stainless sitting there with a few holes. The camera lens could be sealed against the inside of the plate, you would need to have holes for sound to go through for mic and speaker if you are going to include audio… problem still exists that HA doesn’t really deal with audio in this way to the GUI.

the steel plate is a great idea, maybe the button could be capacitive behind the transparent glass
the components could be fixed on the plate and slide from the base of the box upwards to make it more weatherproof
in the next weeks i will try to make the drawings

What about the button press, have you worked around that? Also if you don’t mind me asking, which firmware version are you using?

DB1 motion detection through onvif events can now be utilized using my new docker image / node package that captures ONVIF events and transmit them over MQTT.

For EzViz and RCA you will have to flash it with Laview firmware to get ONVIF support.
This doorbell only publishes the motion detection, but fails to publish doorbell presses.

Docker: Docker Hub
Github: dmitrif/onvif2mqtt

1 Like

@dfarkov thank you for sharing this. Trying to run it for a hikvision doorbell. can you confirm the following:

mqtt:
  host: <mqtt host ip>
  port: 1883
  username: user
  password: pwd
# All of your ONVIF devices
onvif:
  # Name for the device (used in MQTT topic)
  - name: doorbell
    hostname: <camera ip>
    port: 80
    username: user
    password: pwd
1 Like

@juan11perez That should work just fine :slight_smile: It should end up publishing to onvif2mqtt/doorbell/motion.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

@dfarkov Thank you. Tried running with that configuration and the following docker compose

onvif2mqtt:
    container_name: onvif2mqtt
    image: dfarkov/onvif2mqtt:latest
    restart: unless-stopped
    volumes:
    - /mnt/cache/appdata/onvif2mqtt:/config
    environment:
    - PGID=100
    - PUID=99
    - TZ=Asia/Dubai
    # mem_limit: 512m #1G
    # mem_reservation: 256m
    labels:
    - "com.centurylinklabs.watchtower.enable=true"

But the docker is not starting and producing the following error:

{

"level":30,"time":1585338336327,"msg":"Loading configuration. {\"configPath\":\"/config/config.yml\"}","v":1}

{"level":30,"time":1585338336329,"msg":"Validating configuration file.","v":1}

{"level":30,"time":1585338336374,"name":"Manager","msg":"Beginning initialization...","v":1}

{"level":30,"time":1585338336374,"name":"MQTT","hostname":"192.168.1.100:undefined","msg":"Connecting.","v":1}

(node:19) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: Connection refused: Not authorized

at MqttClient._handleConnack (/node_modules/mqtt/lib/client.js:920:15)

at MqttClient._handlePacket (/node_modules/mqtt/lib/client.js:350:12)

at work (/node_modules/mqtt/lib/client.js:292:12)

at Writable.writable._write (/node_modules/mqtt/lib/client.js:302:5)

at doWrite (/node_modules/readable-stream/lib/_stream_writable.js:428:64)

at writeOrBuffer (/node_modules/readable-stream/lib/_stream_writable.js:417:5)

at Writable.write (/node_modules/readable-stream/lib/_stream_writable.js:334:11)

at Socket.ondata (_stream_readable.js:714:22)

at Socket.emit (events.js:311:20)

at addChunk (_stream_readable.js:294:12)

(node:19) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). To terminate the node process on unhandled promise rejection, use the CLI flag `--unhandled-rejections=strict` (see https://nodejs.org/api/cli.html#cli_unhandled_rejections_mode). (rejection id: 1)

(node:19) [DEP0018] DeprecationWarning: Unhandled promise rejections are deprecated. In the future, promise rejections that are not handled will terminate the Node.js process with a non-zero exit code.

> [email protected] start /

> node dist/index.js

{

labels: {

'10': 'trace',

'20': 'debug',

'30': 'info',

'40': 'warn',

'50': 'error',

'60': 'fatal'

},

values: { trace: 10, debug: 20, info: 30, warn: 40, error: 50, fatal: 60 }

}

Thank you

Hi! Please try pulling the latest docker image version docker pull dfarkov/onvit2mqtt. I had a bug in the previous version where it was discarding the username / password for MQTT broker.

Thank you. Done. now it’s connecting but subsequently crashing:

{"level":30,"time":1585340571477,"msg":"Validating configuration file.","v":1}

{"level":30,"time":1585340571528,"name":"Manager","msg":"Beginning initialization...","v":1}

{"level":30,"time":1585340571528,"name":"MQTT","hostname":"192.168.1.100:1883","msg":"Connecting.","v":1}

{"level":30,"time":1585340571557,"name":"MQTT","hostname":"192.168.1.100:1883","msg":"Successfully connected.","v":1}

{"level":30,"time":1585340571557,"name":"ONVIF/doorbell","hostname":"192.168.1.17","msg":"Attempting connection.","v":1}

{"level":20,"time":1585340571558,"name":"MQTT","hostname":"192.168.1.100:1883","msg":"Publishing. {\"topic\":\"onvif2mqtt/doorbell/motion\",\"value\":\"OFF\",\"retain\":true}","v":1}

{"level":30,"time":1585340571763,"name":"ONVIF/doorbell","hostname":"192.168.1.17","msg":"Successfully connected.","v":1}

/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:139

throw new Error('You should create pull-point subscription first!');

^

Error: You should create pull-point subscription first!

at Cam.pullMessages (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:139:10)

at Cam._eventPull (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:262:9)

at Cam.<anonymous> (/node_modules/onvif/lib/events.js:100:13)

at parseSOAPString (/node_modules/onvif/lib/utils.js:98:3)

at IncomingMessage.<anonymous> (/node_modules/onvif/lib/cam.js:214:4)

at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:323:22)

at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1204:12)

at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:84:21)

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE

npm ERR! errno 1

npm ERR! [email protected] start: `node dist/index.js`

npm ERR! Exit status 1

npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] start script.

npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:

npm ERR!     /root/.npm/_logs/2020-03-27T20_22_51_787Z-debug.log

> [email protected] start /

> node dist/index.js